ypelchat

The new Katana?

I think that PD was refing the Stiletto and ended up with a canopy inbetween the Stiletto and the Velocity... wasn't the Crossfire2 made to replace the Crossfire1 after a couple of strange incidents? And wasn't the crossfire1 developed to compete with the Stiletto?

There's a cycle developing here!

Only time will tell!Quess well have to wait for some decent reviews of the thing ,hopefully in the coming months from u guys stateside.....
I would like to add that after a conversation with a PD employee about the canopy,i concluded that it's going to fly v.similar to a cf2.

Can't wait to find out!!!
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

The Xfire 2 was well under development when they had issues with the precision made Xfire 1's.....they were coming out with a new one any way. just happened at the time. call Simon at Icarus and he can inform you better...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

According to an email I got from PD this week the Katana is still being tested. They'll release it to the public as soon as their R&D team deems it "ready for market." No estimates as to when that will be.

They expect the price to be lower than the Velocity yet higher than the Sabre2.

PD brags about being innovative, they were maybe 20 years ago but now they just making copy-cat canopies. I really don't expect the Katana to be anymore innovative in today's market than the Sabre II. PD has good service and good quality products but they are not cutting edge design wise.
But some people keep buying Fords and are quite happy....
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Wow, bold statement by someone who has no real information to base his claim on.

I have heard straight from a PD reps mouth that the Katana does indeed have some type of new technology built in it.

The owner Bill Coe - who started off as a jumper sewing parachutes by hand in his garage - designed the first cross braced canopy way back when (Excalibur), designed and built multiple top of the line lasers table himself, and has worked (and is working) with the textile manufactures to create the best possible zp on the market, and I'm sure there are a ton of other things that I'm just not aware of. PD is always behind the scenes coming up with some kind of new fabric, line or design that most jumpers are probably just not aware of.

Either way, I'd rather jump a company's product who puts time in to testing every size of new canopy and with all sorts of wingloadings and in every condition imaginable. All this tesing takes a lot of time which makes PD look like they're slow. But, in my option, their canopies are worth the wait. I'd rather not be a test jumper.

~Kim
-Kimberly Griffin

PD brags about being innovative, they were maybe 20 years ago but now they just making copy-cat canopies. I really don't expect the Katana to be anymore innovative in today's market than the Sabre II. PD has good service and good quality products but they are not cutting edge design wise.
But some people keep buying Fords and are quite happy....

To each his own ! :P

;)

Yves.

Wow, bold statement by someone who has no real information to base his claim on.

I have heard straight from a PD reps mouth that the Katana does indeed have some type of new technology built in it.

The owner Bill Coe - who started off as a jumper sewing parachutes by hand in his garage - designed the first cross braced canopy way back when (Excalibur), designed and built multiple top of the line lasers table himself, and has worked (and is working) with the textile manufactures to create the best possible zp on the market, and I'm sure there are a ton of other things that I'm just not aware of. PD is always behind the scenes coming up with some kind of new fabric, line or design that most jumpers are probably just not aware of.

Either way, I'd rather jump a company's product who puts time in to testing every size of new canopy and with all sorts of wingloadings and in every condition imaginable. All this tesing takes a lot of time which makes PD look like they're slow. But, in my option, their canopies are worth the wait. I'd rather not be a test jumper.

~Kim

If only Bill could design and market some kind of a device, to help us Sabre2 owners pack our "slippery as hell" canopies, and put it in the bag, such a device would definitely be a tremendous seller! :):)

:D:D:D

Btw. I still have an Excalibur 150, somewhere in my closet, and occasionally, I bring it to the DZ on windy days, just to play with it. A lot of fun. The lines are in need of being replaced, but PD no longer make them. [:/]

;)

Yves.

was just wondering if this new canopy was developped as a response to the Crossfire2?

I think we could speculate on that all day and have justifications to substantiate both sides but it doesn't prove anything in the long run. What I think is more important is the fact that an industry leader continues to pour time and money into R&D and testing of new technologies. Many companies have made their mark with a certain product or line and allow it to carry the company till it's dead or their forced to come up with something more innovative. PD has continually put out a wide variety of canopies over a period of time that have all been used as a base line for comparrison when talking about other manufacturers canopies. What that says is that PD has set the bar and others are always trying to pass it. I think that is great because it does spur on newer ideas and better products for the user in the end.

So did PD market the Katana in response to the Crossfire2? I tend to think no. I do know they have been testing it for quite a while now and have been making modifications and that takes time and research. A response type development usually is hastily concieved, quickly manufactured and marketed directly at the competition. That just does not seem to be the case with the Katana IMO. I think PD is once again raising the bar with time proven methods of not releasing something until it's ready by putting it through every possible scenario.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Either way, I'd rather jump a company's product who puts time in to testing every size of new canopy and with all sorts of wingloadings and in every condition imaginable. All this tesing takes a lot of time which makes PD look like they're slow. But, in my option, their canopies are worth the wait. I'd rather not be a test jumper.~Kim

It's funny, if you go back twenty or so years, the leaders in the industry were Para Flite, GQ Security, and Pioneer. All three are gone now, at least from the sport market. PD was some upstart company in Florida that was marketing their 9 celss in small (like 1/4 page size or smaller) ads in the back pages of Skydiving Magazine, while the big 3 had full page color ads. Goes to show, getting to the top is one thing, staying there is another. It's tough either way.

I'm glad PD tests so thoroughly too. In 1977 Para Flite released a 160 ft 5 cell called the Strato Flyer, billed as the first "lightweight" canopy. It did use a lighter weight pre-F-111 fabric. Had a lousy flare and two or three experienced jumpers I knew broke legs landing the damn things. It came with a lengthy questionnaire. Turns out the questionnaire was being used to help them develop the Safety Flyer - the first square reserve. Here you had the world's leading canopy manufacturer developing the world's first square reserve by using it's customers as test subjects. If that don't take the cheese....so hey PD, test away all you want and God bless!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !