BlueBird180

vector III vs Javelin Odyssey

im looking into buying my own rig...and ive narrowed myself down to 2; the vector 3 and the javelin odyssey J1KL. i fly a sabre 2 170. i ive jumped both rigs one time, but im looking for some longterm input on wearing, durability, comfort, etc. any input yall may have would be much appreciated!

Blue Skies!

"When people look like ants, play. When ants look like people, PRAY!"

yup.

10 week plus or minus for the Vector 3
24 weeks plus or minus for the Javelin

This changes all the time though. As I understand things, if RWS suddenly got a big military order that wait can change overnight to a number as big as the JAvelin and vice versa.

I went with the Vector 3 because of the skyhook

I did not own an Odyssey but I did have a Javelin and I now own a Micron. I find the construction of the Micron to be far superior to what SunPath had made for me. But don't get me wrong. I loved that rig as you will with any rig you buy. But as far as total comfort my Micron just fits my body better. The way the yoke is cut around my chest the way the container is placed on my back.

Smaller, yet no less important, details also make me a big believer in RWS. Their pillow handles are firm and easy to grab. Even with the stiffener the other manufacturers supply I see them always bending under the harness. I'm not saying this is impossible with the RWS rig but if it had you would know it because it is cylindrical and would probably cause you pain if it was positioned like that.

I want to go on and on about their customer service (as it really is exceptional) but I've heard wonderful stories about the people from Mirage, Wings and
other very reputable companies. But you will notice that the RWS team's attention to detail is exceptional. Everything I wanted on my rig from the monogrammed handles (D'Oh! on cutaway and Woo Hoo! on the reserve) to changing the Vector 3 to MICRON on the back was taken care of. I got it tie-dyed which is an expensive risk as you don't really know how it will turn out, but it looks incredible. I would strongly reccomend anyone should go for the Vector 3. But it will just come down to what you want. And time and money. How long will they take to make it and how much it will cost.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

I purchased an Odyssey and have a Sabre 2 170, with a 160 PD reserve. I can't compare this with anything else but my 20 + year old Rapid Transit System made by Sky Supplies (makers of the original Mirage).

What I can say is re-sale of the Odyssey would be fairly easy due to the supply and demand. I have the articulated harness with stainless steel hardware. Pillows for ripcord and cut away. And although I haven't packed my own reserve, I've never heard of any rigger complaining.

The rig is comfortable, reliable, and fashionable.

I will say this however. The transition from my old gear to this gear, I've had to change my technique in reaching back and pulling the hackey. I've posted a problem here in the past where I had problems getting a grip on the hackey, and had to dump my reserve twice. Two total malfunctions within 30 jumps on my new gear.

I think I've figured it out! My old technique was to place my left arm full arm extended and reach back with my right hand to grab the hackey. What was happening was that my harness would conform to my body and my left arm would pull on the harness upward on my left side. I would then stretch and twist my body, groping for the hackey. My body configuration would move the articulated harness to the point that the hackey would become out of reach, riding high on my back and to the left. The more desperate I became, the more I'd stretch, reach and grope. Symmetry is key!

I don't know if I'd have the same problem with other articulated harnesses, but one thing for sure, the Odyssey does conform to your body!