rcjump

birdman chop

To chop or not To chop that is the Question:S:S:S:SLast week end i had my first cut-away ya i know bbb;)bbbbbeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:or.and yes im in my bird man GTI and have 14 js in itand this particular flight went great it was my personal best in flight time and control was just ossum................ well any way ,If your main spins up after opening how much should you try to kick out before you chop !!!!!!!!!! I gave one good hard kick it through me in a dive on my back[:/] now i pulled 5ish it spun up i kick it dives , i chop, roll over ,pull reserve, open canopy by 3.0 the question is should i have waited longer and try harder or is living to ask the question anwser enough....:)

Err, how longs a piece of string? Have you had twists that bad before? Could you get out of them? How long did it take? Was the suit hindering you? What was the canopy and loading? If I was on a 2:1 cross-braced I probably wouldn't give it as much time as a 1:1 7-cell.

What's your hard-deck? (and is your hard-deck different when jumping a wingsuit?) If it's 1600 say, then you had another 1000 feet to work it out. The amount of time this would have given you depends on the canopy. There's no guarantee the reserve is going to work, so I might have worked it a bit longer, but then you run the risk of getting carried away and being too low. You chopped and lived so it worked out, but it's always good to re-evaluate.

The bigger issue may be to address what caused the twists in the first place...

As for the twists i beleave it was a combo of things[:/],my w\l is 1.8 ?i found that the bottom corners of container had come unstitched and and some tube stoes had shown signs of needing to be replaced,but i think the biggest contributor was the chest strap[:/] being to lose and allowed the harness to flex at the chest , more at opening . by tightening up the chest strap 1inch more had a big effect on the overall opening.:o After opening then loosen up chest strap . have not had one since and the openings are more consistant.B|B|B|