arlo

New Bird-Man Pantz!!!

Yeah baby! The new Bird-Man Pantz are going to be on the market in a few. Jari and Robert designed some cool-ass pants that have a mesh inlet which pressurizes the legs and airlocks to keep them that way. Theory is that they pressurize the legs allowing more surface area and subsequently more power/drive. There's a cel phone pocket too (if you know Jari, you'll understand! haha!). I saw the ad in Skydiving today as well. The website doesn't have the hype up there yet, but I think that the base board will soon....

looking forward to checking out these new ones. :)
arlo:ph34r:

I know they say in the ad that the pants are good for a few different kinds of flying, but does anyone have an (informed) opinion on whether these pants introduce additional complexities that would be best left to very experienced jumpers, or whether they're OK for just about everyone to play with? I have 76 jumps right now.

Thanks,
Joe

They're pretty much for tracking. The legs really inflate quite a bit. You could get into just about any body position with them, but some will be very difficult. Sitflying, for example, will probably take quite a bit of effort to stay stable.

- Mac

;) I would like to buy a pair asap, how can i?

You should be able to shoot an email to birdman at [email protected]

They will tell you what measurements are needed. :) These things are pretty cool-ass. :)

I talked to birdman on the phone, they said there are no measurements it's small, medium, large, (and i think he said extra large) and yes, it's another 6 weeks..

can't they move those friggin people from over the pond to the US to speed up production???

:ph34r:

The legs really inflate quite a bit. You could get into just about any body position with them, but some will be very difficult. Sitflying, for example, will probably take quite a bit of effort to stay stable.

But hey, maby headdown is easier then ... Maby even I could learn it ..;)

They're pretty much for tracking. The legs really inflate quite a bit. You could get into just about any body position with them, but some will be very difficult. Sitflying, for example, will probably take quite a bit of effort to stay stable.

- Mac

I'll let you guys know what I think about them once I get to fly a pair. It'll be a few weeks though due to other commitments I have (cali for 10 days, yadda yadda :).
Anyhooooo, these pants are also made with instructors in mind...more power in the legs for AFF, tandems, etc. The feedback from those that have used them in these different realms is all positive. They're being sought after in the BASE world too. There's a BASE version of the Pantz too, which has reinforced knees, groin ventilation (have at it, folks! :), and they are solid black...mesh too. I think they're gonna be bad ass, not because I'm friends with Jari, but because they make sense. I can't wait to go try some flying in them...may even try them in the tunnel. ;) It'll definitely bring a whole new light to tracking dives...

blues,

Last I heard, they were going to be very short run at first... about 50 pairs... to see how they sell. Has the demand indicating that 50 pairs will disappear in about 10 seconds been recognized yet, or are they still playing it "safe"?

- Mac

That is the first I've heard about the "50 jump" trial run. Everything I've heard or seen indicates quite the contrary. It seems that bookoos of people are chomping at the bit to get a pair of these pantz...me included. :) I DO know that there is a list of people already waiting on Oct 14th to send in their orders. I also found out today that I'll be one of the people orders funnel thru. :)

Hope this helps,

I am not the smartest man, but I do not think that it would take much "tinkering" to make your own pair. I mean buy a few pair of pants for 20-30 bucks, make different type of vents, maybe some velco at the bottom of the legs.... even messing up a few pair you could still do better that 250 bucks or whatever the cost is. Just a thought, but is 200+ worth a pair of pants... hell not much more money and you can get a bird suit...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

There's actually more to it than that. Aside from mesh, different types of materials with different levels of breathability, rigidity, etc are used in very specific areas of the pants. I'm sure there's a cheaper way to go about it, but trying to beat out Birdman's engineering and overall quality would be quite a feat.

- Mac

I am not the smartest man, but I do not think that it would take much "tinkering" to make your own pair. I mean buy a few pair of pants for 20-30 bucks, make different type of vents, maybe some velco at the bottom of the legs.... even messing up a few pair you could still do better that 250 bucks or whatever the cost is. Just a thought, but is 200+ worth a pair of pants... hell not much more money and you can get a bird suit...

hmmm, now that ya think about it that way...:) I guess I could go out and buy some cordura and a couple of friction fasteners, slap it together, and make a h/c system. :P LeRoy, you should try making a pair and see how they turn out. Or maybe even get a set of cover-alls add a couple of flowers and make some dakine freefly suits... it's totally how you look at it. BUT, last time I checked, freefly pants cost around $200 anyway. I'm not saying that the price isn't high, I'm saying that the price is consistent with other skydiving "apparel." Guess you get what ya pay for. :)

have a good one,

Didn't BirdMan try that a year or two ago. In fact, I think they called them Track Pants also. I remember Colon had some at Z-Hills? Don't think they were very popular.

Yeah. I do seem to remember seeing a pic of what I am talking about in just "pants with a leg wing" form. As for the running, what does that have to do with tracking in anything other than a BASE use? Anyway, the amount of wing I am talking about would only come to around the knees, possibly a bit higher and rounded, like on a Classic. It's actually pretty easy to run in a classic.

As far as leg power on a tandem or AFF power goes, I think I will stick to my knife-edge booties on my comp suit. Still, I think the track pantz will sell by the droves.

Chuckie

Hi,
yeah, we did make a couple of pairs with a small wing for R&D, they were never marketed or sold although we did have quite a few inquries about them.

We desided to go for the different design totally. Our goal was to make pants that one could use for everything. Pants for every experience level. The original idea was to get increased tracking power from the cliffs, antennas etc. but soon we noticed how much fun they were when tracking-flocking dives became more popular. Good thing is that you can also freefly with them, sit down, track and of course wear them in your favorite skydiving bar B|

They are also made for tandem masters and AFF Instructors since they also appreciate more leg power.

Once again, they do not have any wing between the legs so please do not mix these with some prototypes we had in the past.

More info and pix soon in our web site.

Thanx for the patience,
jari

Thats a hell of an idea... (((light bulb turns on))) hum... How about this... you make a small flap (previously mentioned) between the legs, but this time put a slide fastener so you could easily seperate?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

LeRoy,
you already have a BirdMan suit, so why are you concerned anyway?

On a different note. I am not sure why a set of pants (with non-inflating legs) which had a leg wing slightly smaller than a Classic wouldn't be better than this idea. Just a thought.

Chuck

Wouldn't this be very divey? Try flying your wingsuit with the arms awings collapsed and the leg wing inflated. I like the TrakPantz, I've been seeing, as they essentially, as Jari said, make your legs more powerful, which is what pretty much everyone should be/is flying with.

I still say sitflying would be more unstable. Not that it couldn't be figured out, but an actual effort (a word freeflyers try to avoid) would need to be place to realy plant those feet... at least at first.

- Mac

Okay, i just found out that the $234 price is for the custom pantz and the stock pantz sizes will be $196 and will be available end of November. :)

I guess (regarding stock sizing) it's like going out and buying a pair of jeans. :)

;) Hello! Do think the pantz sounds great. Anyone tried the base version for regulare skydiving? Lets say anyone should try base jumping in a while but in the mean time use BASE pantz for freeflying? Will there be any disadvantages compered to the frefly version?

Do, or do not. There is no try.

down to about 80 MPH

I am about 190 lbs and 6'. I can get down to 85 mph avg without these pants in a freefly suit and 95 in tshirt/shorts. Dwayne is quite small if I remember correctly. I am very eager to try these pants and see if they are all cracked up to be as they say. I'd love to demo a pair of pants. I'll likely go down to Deland just to try them out whenever they get a demo. If I can get under 80 easily I'll likely get them and another ticket to Norway :)

I talked to Birdman today and they said the BASE pants just won't be good for back tracking, and they will not impede headdown or sit.