IronMike

My first Wing Suit jump tomorrow

Im really nervous about deployment. Jari and the Bird Man clan is here at Perris and I am told now is the time for me to do my first. I have 350 jumps, all this year but Im still more scared than level 1 AFF........More tomorrow night. I have to work tomorrow night so beer will have to wait....

In Birdman class you learn a lot of things;

First, learn to stand. Birdman suits look really cool in the air, but kinda stupid on the ground, so fer cryin' out try to look cool. So far, these guys don't quite have it.

Second, this may be a sign if you've tracked a bit too low on your first jump. Note the guy on the far right praying.

Lastly, until you've mastered heading control, you might want to wear a helmet.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

FirstLearn2stand.jpg

YouTracked2Low.jpg

BeSure2WearHelmets.jpg

>First, learn to stand. Birdman suits look really cool in the air, but kinda
>stupid on the ground, so fer cryin' out try to look cool. So far, these
>guys don't quite have it.

Wasn't it Chuck who was complaining that it looks really dorky posing in wingsuits with the "Batman spreads his wings"-position? I'm starting to believe it's impossible to look cool while wearing a wingsuit on the ground.

>Second, this may be a sign if you've tracked a bit too low on your
>first jump. Note the guy on the far right praying.

What? The telltale sign of laying face down in the dirt?

>Lastly, until you've mastered heading control, you might want to wear
>a helmet.

Hmm. Someone might want to point out to these guys that building a star, while maybe not impossible, is going to be significantly more difficult than say, a wegde or a row.

As a (serious)side-note, I've been waiting for someone to build a 4-way diamond with wingsuits. Has somebody done it or is there some blindingly obvious reason why it's not possible?

Erno

I shouldn't be too difficult to build a diamond. The burble being behind and not above you may produce some turbulence, but there really should be anything else in the way. For us in Skydive Oregon, the only thing that's keeping us from such flocks is a lack of skyflyers.

- Mac

Well, I was pretty certain you'd remember the comment and who it was from. The first photo in my post however just confirms this once more.

Look at Don Simonds, the guy with the beard in the yellow Birdman suit! What the hell is THAT?!? He looks like he's about to be in a ballet recital!

Ok, I'll admit I didn't look any cooler when I put one on. As a matter of fact, I look like an idiot in every photo that's ever been taken of me. But that's no excuse why other people should look silly!
quade -

Im really nervous about deployment. Jari and the Bird Man clan is here at Perris and I am told now is the time for me to do my first. I have 350 jumps, all this year but Im still more scared than level 1 AFF........More tomorrow night. I have to work tomorrow night so beer will have to wait....

Skeerdy Cat, skeerd of night jumps, skeerd of CReW and now you are skeerd of your first Birdy-man jumps. Whatya skeerd to talk to girls up close too? Skydivers aren't sposed ta be skeerd all the time. Stop that negative energy will ya.
As fer looking cool in your suit, with all the downtime this weekend I was asked by a tourist couple to pose for a picture with them. Imagine a pic of me in my bird-suit holding hands with grandma and grandpa now thats COOL................Glen

Ok, I'll admit I didn't look any cooler when I put one on. As a matter of fact, I look like an idiot in every photo that's ever been taken of me. But that's no excuse why other people should look silly!

Like these?;)

You and SBS look pretty cool here...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

BirdMan_Steve2.jpg

BirdMen2.jpg

Paul_Flight2.jpg

BirdMan_Instruction2.jpg

BirdMan_Paul2.jpg

I'm starting to believe it's impossible to look cool while wearing a wingsuit on the ground.

I thought we looked pretty cool in these pictures

Hmmm... nah... the above statement still stands. Though, it is cool to have that many birdmen together.

- Mac

Due to bad weather no loads on Saturday. A few hop-n-pop loads on Sunday, one even featuring an experienced suit flyer. Only one load to full alti that Jari and some of the guys were able to get on but not one new suit flyer got to fly with an instructor. Energy was positive. There was a good turn out, plenty instructors available, several new guys with their own suits, and a handful of anxious newbees purchasing some of the Demo suits. Plus just about every veteran wing suit flyer from the region.
Several of the local instructors would make themselves available during the week through the weekend hopefully the weather will get better soon.
Glen.

Seriously though, big, tall clouds are VERY cool to fly in and around. Too bad you guys didn't get to jump with Jari; he completely rules the skies.
I think Jari was set up to do most of the Flocking with the already experienced flyers.
Since there were enough instructors to take all of the first timers up on two ways within the span of a few loads, it would have been interesting to see how the new guys would "tricle up" to be on bigger flocks with the big boys.
Sunday was a total teaser with just a bit more blue showing between the brocken clouds there would have been many "corridors" to stay legal and provide for some beautiful reference.

Our loss hopefully next time Glen

Yeah, they're pretty cool, but looking at them I also can't help thinking of some sort of massive barbershop quartet putting out their hands and singing the final note of their song.

"Maaammmmieeee!"
quade -

Got some great cloud action on Sunday. Got out on one side of a huge, flat cloud. Flew from end to end. The "ground rush" from that is great... especially right near the end. I was about 200 ft above it when I came over the edge, and the sensation of goinf from ground rush to suddely seeing the ground 10,000 ft below was awesome. Had just enough time to turn around and fly through a wee bit.

Good junk.

- Mac