Macaulay

25 in GTi

Hey Mac,

Where was your ProTrack mounted? Was it in your helmet? I'm always a little sceptical of helmet mounted ProTracks as they seem to be susceptible to movement of the head. Whenever I see sharp rise and fall from the maximum to the minimum within a short space of time on the graph I'm dubious

Take for example this helmet mounted ProTrack data with three sharp peaks over 100 mph and two between these at 10-20mph, doesn't give me a lot of faith, but I do believe the period between 75 and 105 seconds which is consistent.

Although more extreme than your example, I'm less inclined to trust the section of graph after 95 seconds. It looks like you maxed out the recording time for the ProTrack. It would be interesting to see the data after as it looks like it was becomming more consistent again.

I don't mean to have a go, you look to have some consistency in the low 40s / high 30s which is outstanding on a GTi I just don't believe 21 mph (unless you did a dive to uild up some speed first?). What sort of build are you?

I just don't trust single mounted ProTracks mounted in positions which are exposed to rapidly changing air flows. I draw your attention to this post I made regarding the data from 3 ProTracks

Finally, send me your ProTrack database (*.DB, *.MB, *.PX in a Zip file please) and I'll host it on jumptrack.com. Easier to share graphs than capturing screen shots and upload them. More flexible too.

Even if it isn't completely "accurate" to Craig's stringent measures, it is still an outstanding job. I know several people who are far more consistent in slow-flight on Classics than GTi's, but you definitely have more "power" for flocking moves in the larger suit. If you are really into the slow-flight techie stuff, then Craig Poxon and those guys are doing some neat tricks.

Craig, who is the guy that had little toggles put on his lower wingtips so that they could hold onto them easier, like we do with SkyFlyers?

Chuck

Even if it isn't completely "accurate" to Craig's stringent measures, it is still an outstanding job.

I used the same word myself :-)

If you are really into the slow-flight techie stuff, then Craig Poxon and those guys are doing some neat tricks.

What can I say, I'm a geek!

Craig, who is the guy that had little toggles put on his lower wingtips so that they could hold onto them easier, like we do with SkyFlyers?

Andy Ford. Posts here occasionally as Fordy They are more like a loop. From the bottom of the wrist cuff to bottom part of the wing that comes out perpendicular to the wrist. There is a slight risk of passing the hackey through this though on deployment which you need to be careful of. Can you post any pictures of your mod Andy?

I thought someone posted a while ago that they used a simple piece of webbing with a little dowel on the end? I thought that more prone to possibly foul with a hackey, but I am sure I read it. As it is, I, on occasion, launch and fly with my SkyFlyer wingtips in my hands, but as I do not use a pro-trac, I have no idea what benefits I gain. I am more into the acrobatics of flocking.

Chuck

I was in norway recently and saw this mod in action on a skyflier. I was warned against using any hard materials such as downlings because if you fell over, it could hurt you. Instead, get some thick bungees such as the tandem ones. Cut them open and lay them lengthways along the edge of the wing tip (2 maybe needed ontop of each other to get the rigidity). Then sew some fabric tape over the top of it all onto the wing tips.
Hope that made sense.... Meeker.

OK, I am not talking about the leading or trailing edge; I am talking about the short piece that comes straight down from your wrist before the trailing edge of the wing goes over to your waist. The small piece of dowling, or whatever, I am talking about is only maybe two inches long and is attached to a short piece of 1/2 inch webbing connected to that corner of the wing, sort of like a steering toggle on a ParaFoil. The intent there being to add a bit of rigidity to the wing. Personally, while I am sure that it does help a bit, so long as you fly with a good arm position, your wings will not flap and will work as designed. It's mostly people with a poor elbow/forearm form that don't get good lift.

Chuck

It is on my head, and that is definitely a possibility, but taking into consideration freefall time, and for myself... the way those points felt, I feel it isn't too far off. Where would you recommend I put it? It's useless as an audible to me, so I don't mind taking it off my head.

BTW, I did, in fact, do sort of a "hook turn", built up speed, planed out, and "flared" the suit... a couple times... trying to get the lowest speed possible.

As far as build goes... 5'10", 145lbs... chest being the widest part of my body... thin... almost skinny.

- Mac

Where would you recommend I put it? It's useless as an audible to me, so I don't mind taking it off my head.

Good question and the answer is I'm not really sure! Seeing as you only have one, try it in the front and back pocket of your trousers. Download the data is see if it is consistent (not spiky). Compare it with the data when in your helmet and the front or back pocket. (Plug: if you send me your database you'll be able to overlay and compare graphs at jumptrack.com :-) ) What would be better is if you could borrow a second one (idea for L&B - how about a buy one get the second half=price for Birdmen and Speed Skydivers?!) and put them in the "standard" Speed Skydiving measuring position i.e. on the lateral webbing above your hips. Comparing two adds validity to the data if they are similar.

However, I'm wondering if this is a good thing to do. As the lateral webbing passes through the suit and comes out behind the wing, the ProTracks will sit in a pressure area created by the wing. I'm wondering if going back to ankle mounts is the way to go on wingsuits. I'll try it out this weekend.

As far as build goes... 5'10", 145lbs... chest being the widest part of my body... thin... almost skinny.

Figures :-)