gus

Poll: canopies for wingsuits

>robert (birdman designer) still chooses to jump atair canopies.

I did see Robert's profile on the Birdman site lists an Troll as his base canopy, but it lists an Icarus main and that he "used to be" a Atair test jumper. Is the info out of date on the site?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

No, it is absolutely NOT so ;)

My canopies of choise are:
1) Velocity 75 with PD-106 R
2) Velocity 79 with PD-106 R

Both systems packed into Wings Birdman-1 container

I have never jumped Atair Alpha in my life but I did jump Atair Impulse 95 a few years back and changed that canopy to other manufacturers cross braced canopies because I liked their products and they were more high performance wings, NOT because of a rich sponsorship agreement.

I have jumped (with wingsuits) just about every high performance canopy on the market. Modern wings are all good, they all have their personality and should be treated with respect. They all open, are fun to fly and if the pilot knows how they have great swoops.

I must say that I am extremely happy with the overall package of PD canopies. It seems to work with me and my style the best. I have had 2 cut aways in my last 1200 flights and I am so happy I have PD-106 as my back-up. Ain't so javla bad B|

Safe flights,
Jari

Four wing suit deployments on my Cobalt 135 @1.4, 26" kill line PC, one grommet faceing reserve the rest facing the BOC.
Four on my Cobalt 120 @1.6, 23" kill line PC, Grommet facing closing loop.
Only one vicious line twisting spanker on my 120 due to deploying head low. But the 120 just flew fine and untwisted effortlessly. Glen

hey jari,

sorry, i missed you in nyc that night. i just wasn't up for a night out....

the impulse is simply the european name for the alpha. same exact canopy you jumped for the first 2 years i knew you....

i consider us friends and stane and i were quite dissapointed when you moved from atair to icarus. but i fully understood as you explained at the time the terms and that their sponsorship promoted your products in a way that we couldn't match. this is what i reffered to as rich. when that situation didn't work out due to the control issue. i was hoping to get you back on board, but again a offer was made that we just couldn't compete with by pd....business is business....still think you are a great guy, great company, great product, and still help promote you every chance we get.

see you soon,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

robert works part time for atair (in the factory & in the field) and part time for birdman whose factory is just up the street from ours.

he is also on the croation national team and a very active base jumper. i love visiting as robert has all of his european driving directions laid out by base jumps...i.e. drive straight till the 300m chiminey, then left to the 100m bridge, etc...

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I prefer to jump my Troll with my wingsuit. The Troll has great flight characteristics, and the things I don't like about it (openings) are minimized in the wingsuit environment, where you are well away from potential object strike, and the nature of the opening (lots of forward speed) greatly improves heading performance.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

(1) Stiletto 120
(2) 1.5
(3) In general, very nice. Normal Stiletto openings, it likes to search for heading and turn slightly but overall very manageable. Only had linetwists couple of times and had no problems with them.

Exactly what he said. Same canopy, same wingloading, same experiences.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey Baxter, good to hear from you. Do you sit up after you throw, or do you stay in a track until you are snatched up? Do you pack with the grommet to the pin like Dan and I (and Jari, etc, etc) do, or are you still rotating your bag? As far as the pilot chute thing goes, both Dan and I use small ZP pilot chutes with no problem in our wingsuit flying.

Chuck

Hey Chuck - what in the world is grommet to pin ?? I asked my rigger and he wasn't sure what you were talking about either.

Kevin

The gromet on the D-bag where the PC attaches is packed against the closing pin instead of against the bottom of the reserve container. It is only a 90 degree rotation instead of the normal 180 flip to get it back in the container that most people do.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The gromet on the D-bag where the PC attaches is packed against the closing pin instead of against the bottom of the reserve container. It is only a 90 degree rotation instead of the normal 180 flip to get it back in the container that most people do.

Okay, well what advantage does this have ? The packing place when they packed my rig in zhills said they were told to pack with the dbag 180 degrees opposite of what you normally pack (i.e. the lines are at the top of the rig, the PC comes out the bottom).. the rigger couldn't figure out how the 180 degrees would make much of a difference in deployment.

Kevin

Kevin,

the reason you want to pack with your gromet (gromet on D bag where the bridle inserts) facing the closing pin is to allow for a smooth deployment of the D bag from the container into the air. This allows for the D bag to deploy straight off of your back and reduces the chances of line twists that can happen when the D bag has to rotate to free itself from the container.

Having open corners(un sewn) on your container also allows for improved deplyment of the D bag and reduces the chances of the D bag twisting or flipping on deployment. The third item is to have the 9' bridle Chuck talked about .

If I forgot anything Chuck jump in:D

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

ok, lets think....
classic, pd 210/190 20 jumps
classic, spectre 150 80 jump
classic, spectre 135/ sabre 120/ 20 jumps

Skyflyer, spectre 135 100 ish jumps
Skyflyer, spectre 120 70/80 jumps
Skyflyer, Sabre2 107 90 jumps

I weigh in generally around 150lb and jump a 113/126reserve always in a javelin, no mods on P.C, bridle or container...i always relax into a arms in knees together arched position for 3 seconds before pitch and have had no more than a couple of line twists... not had line twists for a long time since learning to keep my leg wing tightly closed all the way through deployment...

I don't have a problem with elliptical canopies and jump a VX 69/79 when not flying wingsuits....

jump an elliptical and wait for the spinner ;) it will happen...

Fordy