kevin922

landing a birdman suit.. it IS doable..?

The trick here is that there must not be any gaps (or 'holes') in the formation - just body next to body creating a continues surface. Imagine whatching a successful attempt - 200 people descending slowly as a human canopy and landing unharmed!

Possible, I imagine - but the formation would be extremely unstable... Imagine a piece of plywood falling through the sky.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

You know that in theory , it is possible to build a belly flying formation so large that it will move so slow that no one has to pull.

I will start the sign up right here.
1)
2)
3)

BTW I can get you the Brooklyn Bridge fro cheap

Yes, NASA scientists calculated, that if 200 people linked in freefall, they could land without opening their parachutes. All without using wingsuits; just normal RW jumpsuit.

The trick here is that there must not be any gaps (or 'holes') in the formation - just body next to body creating a continues surface. Imagine whatching a successful attempt - 200 people descending slowly as a human canopy and landing unharmed!

And that is all theory, b/c I can promise you it would fail. I would more than likely not be the only person to turn and track at 7 grandB|

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Yes, NASA scientists calculated, that if 200 people linked in freefall, they could land without opening their parachutes. All without using wingsuits; just normal RW jumpsuit.

And that is all theory, b/c I can promise you it would fail. I would more than likely not be the only person to turn and track at 7 grand

That's why parachutes would not be provided... ;)

Possible, I imagine - but the formation would be extremely unstable... Imagine a piece of plywood falling through the sky.
_Am

Maybe they could for a formation that would look like a bowl put upside down on a table?

[#003366]Yes, NASA scientists calculated, that if 200 people linked in freefall, they could land without opening their parachutes. All without using wingsuits; just normal RW jumpsuit.

[/#003366]hmm...sounds cool, but count me out!
I'll try to remeber that if I find myself in freefall after a comersial airliner accident with only skydivers aboard.
--- Hey, we forgot our parachutes. Let's build a BIG formation... ---

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

been done already....

See Burt Lancaster in Gypsy Moths...

But we simply want to improve on the results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
now....

"Re: [kevin922] landing a birdman suit.. it IS doable..? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know that in theory , it is possible to build a belly flying formation so large that it will move so slow that no one has to pull.

I will start the sign up right here.
1) Chris
2)
3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Who's next?

I'll Sign up... it's only a matter of time... (notice I didn't get time specific there), but it will happen soon enough, we will all witness a successful landing.

Chris

Hey, just to note, I signed up for landing a Bird-Man suit, not smoking it in with a big-way belly formation with just enuf aad's to take out our lift....

The thought process continues!Right now attachment points are my main concern,the simple design is taking shape quite nicely!Think about a creeper about half the size and weight or a slightly larger skate board with real aerodynamic lift.Special features(I could tell you but would then have to,you know!)

Why would I die trying to land a wing suit, or be willing to?
I can't find a better way off this damn planet. God is laughing at all of us, I just know it. And if we can tolerate life long enough, he rewards us.
It wasn't suicide God, it was an ACCIDENT.
hell yeah, thanks. I found my way out.
Peace,
Thomas
p.s. Gotta get my new parachute before I start on my wingsuit jumps. heh heh. Can't make it look that obvious.

------------
------------

Can you give a link where you get this info ? I search all NASA sites but nothing found about this.
It is interest to calculate, may be it is possible really :P

------------
------------

Can you give a link where you get this info ? I search all NASA sites but nothing found about this.
It is interest to calculate, may be it is possible really :P

It was mentioned in one of Leo Dickinson (sp?) books. I don't remember the title, unfortunately...

NASA scientists calculated, that if 200 people linked in freefall, they could land without opening their parachutes.

Should be easy enough to find someone who had a pro-track on the 300 way, and ask what the fall rate was.

**** The trick here is that there must not be any gaps (or 'holes') in the formation - just body next to body creating a continues surface. Imagine whatching a successful attempt - 200 people descending slowly as a human canopy and landing unharmed! *****

It seems like since nasa has so much money to do all these stupid tests & calculations, they should setup a 200-way test dummie group they can dump out of a c-5 and actually test this theory.. look at all the data from the dummies.. and with them being dummies they can ensure they are put as close as their calculations say they need to be.

If you could find someone to create a air pillow the length of a runway wouldnl't that be plenty of room to land a birdman suit? (somewhat safely)
reply]

Or maybe you could get them to make a Pie as long as a runway, coconut creme, that would cushion your fall, and your forward speed.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

If you could find someone to create a air pillow the length of a runway wouldnl't that be plenty of room to land a birdman suit? (somewhat safely)
reply]

Or maybe you could get them to make a Pie as long as a runway, coconut creme, that would cushion your fall, and your forward speed.

Funny smartass.. i'm sure similar comments were made when someone said "lets try and strap this snowboard on our feet and fly around the sky with it"

Some people have no sence of humor, actually the idea of landing a birdman into a giant coconut creme pie sounds like fun to me. Hey you could do it on your 100th jump and save the time of getting pied, oh yeah buy the BEER in advance. Of course just so it could be chilled.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Some people have no sence of humor, actually the idea of landing a birdman into a giant coconut creme pie sounds like fun to me. Hey you could do it on your 100th jump and save the time of getting pied, oh yeah buy the BEER in advance. Of course just so it could be chilled.

Ray, if I hadn't met you i would think you're a total nutcase

:D

Maybe I've just seen "Dropzone" (bad Wesley Snipes film) one too many times, but why not get a huge truck with mattresses on the back, and have it drive along at about 80mph so you could drop your wingsuit onto it at relative speed of 0mph?

Kind of like a clip I've seen where a guy jumps out of a plane with wingsuit on, the plane circles around and he just flies back in. With a huge grin on his face.

He was wearing a rig though....

Nick

This username sucks, so I'm BBKid now instead. Replies, insults, sexual favours and death threats to be sent there from now on.

Maybe I've just seen "Dropzone" (bad Wesley Snipes film) one too many times, but why not get a huge truck with mattresses on the back, and have it drive along at about 80mph so you could drop your wingsuit onto it at relative speed of 0mph?

Kind of like a clip I've seen where a guy jumps out of a plane with wingsuit on, the plane circles around and he just flies back in. With a huge grin on his face.

He was wearing a rig though....

Nick

Um.. because that is like landing an ant on a pencil.. and if you fuck it up the first time you're dead.

Waaay to dangerous there. You don't have a speedometer on the wingsuit so you can't match speeds or anything like that with any real accuracy.

Kevin

AAAAGGGHHHHH!!!!! OK, so someone has the skills and the balls to pinpoint a truck that has a driver that magically macthes the skyflyer's forward speed. The impact into the mattress MIGHT be survivable, but it won't go easy. Drive 30 - 40 MPH, even 20. Now imagine hitting a pedestrian, with a mattress on the front of the car Then, think about how realistic such a landing would be.

And while the "snowy slope" idea is at least a little more plausible, I still say it's no better than being unable to outtrack a talus.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click