kevin922

Bought my 1st wingsuit !!

Well t-minus 8 weeks and counting i just ordered my 1st birdman suit! (thank you Jari for making this possible..:)
I got the GTI, with the LQRS, hook knife pocket, decided to get pillows vs the handles (figured the handles you run the risk of them getting caught on something....) what are the advantages to the handles?

Anyway, red body left and white wings are white with black ribs (anyone else have different colored ribs?) and got a black leg wing....

Hopefully it will look good...

Can't wait!

I figured the handles you run the risk of them getting caught on something.... what are the advantages to the handles?

I prefer the handles because:

1) I rarely jump in an environment where snagging a handle is likely (I'm not often in an aircraft).
2) I feel that I can get them slightly faster (which might become important if you dump at 300 feet, as I have a disturbing tendency to do).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Likewise, I have handles on both of my suits. The one time I did chop from a spinner, I was easily able to swipe my arm-wing handles on the way by with just two fingers (I had my reserve and cutaway pillows already in my hands).

In that cutaway was it necessary to cut your wings? The understanding I have from when I went through everything you have enough range of movement to cut your main and deploy a reserve without cutting wings.. was it just a precaution of yours?

Thanks!

Kevin

No, I did not cut my wings away until just after I chopped. You can easily reach your handles still sewn in. Actually, on my SkyFlyer I can reach past the "V" of my risers if I try really hard, not that that is what you would want to do in an effort to gain control. There are very specific "good" ways to get out of a bad opening situations without having to chop; those recommendations vary according to which suit and which options you have on your suit. Jari and Vladi Pesa both preach pulling your LQRS handle first in a suit so equipped (especially a SkyFlyer), because that frees your legs to kick out of the spinner with their full range of motion. After starting that, should you still not be able to kick out, pull your arm wing handles and try to untwist your risers out of it. All that being said, if you found yourself low and under a main you know you are not going to be able to kick out of, then just chop.

There are actually plenty of folks who just pull their arm-wing handles on every jump. The reason for that is, unless you have a wingsuit-specific rig, you are probably going to de-rig the suit anyway as soon as you land. My problem with that, as opposed to just unzipping your wings, is that you are forced to fly around with your wing handles in your hands, unless you stick them down your suit that is. I would never pull my LQRS unless I needed too. It's better to just reach down, unsnap, unzip, then pull both booties off and tie the leg wing in a knot and stick it in the leg vent (or snap it to the sides on a GTi).

Chuck

I would never pull my LQRS unless I needed too. It's better to just reach down, unsnap, unzip, then pull both booties off and tie the leg wing in a knot and stick it in the leg vent (or snap it to the sides on a GTi).

That may depend on your personal physique.

If you are a manly, fit, special forces trooper with good leg flexibility, it's pretty easy to get the leg wing off quickly.

If, on the other hand, you happen to be a fat, lazy American BASE jumper with a nagging ankle injury, the LQRS can be quite helpful.

As noted before, if you are open low, it is often useful to just cut away the wings, rather than wasting time getting to the zippers. If you make a habit of this, it is also quite useful to have an extra set of cut away cables, so that you don't ruin a road trip by dropping one.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi Chuck ,thanks for info i was just down at perris at the bird-man boogie with ,vladi,yari,kim and abunch of other great people . like Richard,Dave,Craig,Neil,and more than i can remember the names to but worth meeting,,,,,,,,,,,
on my new Gti i got the LQRS and handals not pillows but it is personaly my pref.thnks agine