SkydiveMonkey

Helmet mount protack

I've had my protrack "fail" several times, and tell me that I had pulled at some high altitude (10,000 or whatever), basically giving no reading on the flight.

I think that the protrack might see sudden changes in descent rate (flaring out of a dive, or dropping to a flock, then settling in with them, etc) as a parachute opening.

Other than that, there are all kinds of "type of airspeed" issues. But, if you are worried about having it actually work as an audible altimeter, or be a reliable way to judge your progress (by comparing readings against other flights of yours, with the same protrack mounting), I think it's generally pretty good.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

There is a "SLO"- setting on the ProTrack which should work well with wingsuits. As I recall it's in the "jump type"-menu.

I would like to know "for sure" if setting the SLO jump type makes any difference - all the other choices in the jump type menu just affect how the jump is categorized in Jump Track. The manual doesn't mention the SLO setting at all.

My Pro Track has worked well so far - but then again I'm still pretty lousy at skyflying...

-Kari

I don't have an original manual handy since I don't own a ProTrack, but check the finnish translation of the manual at
http://www.hameenlaskuvarjourheilijat.fi/protrack.pdf

Page 10: "Muuttaa laitteen nopeus ja hälytysparametreja hyppylajeille 5,10, ja 11"

As I recall type 10 is "SLO". The annex hasn't been translated yet so I have no idea what it says there about the different types.

Plus, it seems that there are several different version of the ProTrack, and as many versions of the manual ...

Erno

On my Protrack, "SLO" comes up on the screen as one of the choices. I f you don't have it, get L and B to update it - they'll probably do it free of charge.

Yes, I do have the SLO -option available, it's just that the manual which I got and the manual which is on the L&B website doesn't know anything about the SLO -setting, and I was curious about if anyone knows *for sure* what setting the "slo" for jump-type really does! After all, the AFF, STU, TANDEM etc. settings AFAIK don't do anything besides being an aid in doing statistics out from Jump Track.

-Kari

SLO does work, but it's still weird. If I don't put it on SLO, the jump will be logged, but no sound goes off. However, in SLO mode, the jump will be logged, the sounds will all go off, but I usually still have the blinking "ALTITUDE" when I get on the ground, as if it were still climbing.

And I wish there was a "slowest speed" setting on this thing. I have the software, but I haven't installed it on this computer yet, so I hven't seen my charts. But it'd be nice to track your slow-speed progress on the fly.

- Mac

Funny you should ask. Last weekend I went up with 3 ProTracks. One was mounted in my helmet (Oxygn) and the other two were mounted on the lateral webbing of my Voodoo in the same set-up as is used for Speed Skydiving. I think with the Skyflyer now that the wing extends down below this webbing therefore the ProTracks mounted there are sitting ontop/behind the wing. If wingsuit wings are like airplane wings then this would be an area of faster moving/lower pressure air. Not sure if the readings are higher or lower, but they certainly look cleaner.

The most extreme example is with jump 720. The black line is from the helmet mounted ProTrack whereas the coloured ones come from the laterally mounted units. I think the fluctations come from moving my head around. Unfortunately, I wasn't wearing my camera on these jumps, so it's difficult to tell. I'll be doing that next time, along with some ankle or trouser pocket mounted units i.e. under the wing.

Here are the graphs to the other jumps:

The server on which these links reside is a bit flaky. Please let me know if you have problems accessing it!

Forgot to say, usually I'll set my first alarm to 4,000 and my second to 3,000 for deployment. I once had the two alarms sound almost consecutively when there should have been at least 10-15 seconds between the two of them. Again, moving my head around may have confused the unit as with the above graphs. Just goes to show devices can't be relied upon.