cpoxon

Don't blink

Did you happen to catch the licence plate of that as it went past?

All joking aside were you able to figure out what lead up to this and is there anything three that could be passed along so that others can learn?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, and two low-timers on the same flight isn't necessarily a good idea... The wingsuits fly surprisingly fast sideways:o. I almost crashed with a friend on a jump, the collision would have been painful at best. We missed by inches. We did manage to take it much easier the next jump...:)
Erno

Think so. As usual there are several events that combined. Firstly the guy who zipped by was fixated on the base guy and not looking around. As he put on some speed to catch up he generated a lot of lift which caused him to zoom past me. I was above him which made it very difficult for him to see me, which is bad on my part, but situations change quite rapidly and it did allow me to see and anticipate him. The forum only allows 300k attachments so I wasn't able to put a longer clip where you can see me looking around keeping an eye on him although he's not in view very much due to the angle and the width of the lens.

Wingsuit flying is very 3D but because a lot of it is face to earth I think we limit our field of vision. Like I said, the old rules apply, be aware of where everyone is. If you can't then the group is probably too big. And keep your head on a swivel!

This raises the question... DO the same rules apply? In skydiving, the low person has the right of way. But that's when you're going DOWN. When you're moving more FORWARDS than down, then should it be the low person, or the person in front? Or maybe figure out what angle is the limit for right of way.

In other high-speed sports, or even driving for that matter, the person in front has the right of way, regardless of vertical position. For example, in mountain biking, if I'm going up a hill and run into another biker, it would be my fault, even though they were higher than me.

In this situation it seemed that the guy that zoomed by would be at fault if there were a collision. He was out of your range of vision, but you were not out of his. Had he looked up, he would have seen you. This is just my opinion, and the standard rule still stands, but this is something that I feel should be considered and recognized.

Either way, that was great lift and speed. I paused it and checked out that Skyflyer for a bit (the suit, not the pilot, er... shut up). :)

- Macaulay