ernokaikkonen

Landing the wingsuit

Probably not.. if he tried and was unsuccessful I'm sure it'd be plastered on the news for a day or two, and if he tried and was successful we would have heard of the accomplishment. I could be wrong though

--
Hook high, flare on time

Also, his schedule for this says "winter of 2002".

I'm guessing he meant winter in the southern hemishpere, but ya never know.

Do a search of the threads and you'll see we talked about the feasibility of this a while back. My conclusion based on just the math of it was that he doesn't stand a chance of actually pulling it off, but what the hell do I know.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I recon it's do-able as well! but you do need to have a screw loose some where.

There will be a point in the flight were deploying a reseve would probably kill him as he would be too low and after this point he would have no chance but to go for it!!

will I?... won't I?...will I?..won't I? .. f*ck it!!.....

There was another attempt that was planned and eventally cancelled due to insurance reasons. the guy was going to land in airanated water ( spelling!! water with bubbles!) but alsa he never got to do it!!

Did anyone see the Extreme live on BBC 1 on Tuesdy night?
Had really cool footage of Patrick de Gayardon flying his wingsuit over the tops of mountain ridges, he looked sooo damn close!!!
Afterwards they showed footage of Adrian Nicholas doing a base jump in Norway, then a jump from about 35,000 feet in the wingsuit. Awsome!

If anyone intend to land the wingsuit, wearing a rigg would just add extra weight and generate extra speed. I think dropping the rigg would increase chances to survive.
If you jump without a rigg, there won't be any possibilitie to chicken out, and you must not screw up in the spotting. I've never tried jumping a wingsuit, but I look forward to the day I can...
I believe someday, someone will be crazy enough to try. I strongly doubt any insurance company ever will be crazy enough to give the madman an insurance...!

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I seriously doubt anyone could safely land a wingsuit. I got a concussion/amnesia from a slightly off "landing" from a mere 25ft cliff dive. People have died from less. Even on a powdery incline, I just don't think it will happen... at least not with any wingsuit that currently exists.

- Mac

Macaulay made an important point there : "at least not with any wingsuit that currently exists. " I believe that landing with current suits is nearly impossible but what will there be in future ? If the suits continue to improve like they've improved over the last, say, 2 years, who'll know what will happen. Imho I'm quite sure that someone will try to land a wingsuit one day.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

definately not with a ram-air wing suit.

problem with fabric wingsuits is that the aerodynamicsly the wings must be in the wrong place. your arms being the struts put themain wing much too far foward for the center of gravity of a human body....

maybe if you get someone with a really, really fat head.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

The project is for real. I mailed Digital Dog ltd. and ask about status for the project, and here is the reply. Looks like the wingsuit wont be landed this year. They will update the website soon.

The wingsuit project has been delayed until 2003, mainly because our
American producers staged a last minute take over of the documentary.
They wanted to turn it into a hyped up "One false move and he'll
die!" typical american television thing.
Chuck and I want to keep it Kiwi - with local crews, local music and
no pretencious nonsense. It'll all go better that way.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well, yes, that's what prompted me to look up this old thread. I think there are two possibilities:
1) either the digitaldog people update their website once a year and add 1 to the year
or
2) there's a script:
"If everything goes according to plan, Chuck will attempt his wingsuit-to-snow project in Winter ."

in any case it would be easier to say "he'll do it next year.":P

I see lot's of people talking(some of them for a long time...). Let's see some action!