callahan

containers for the wingsuit ?

I don't fly a birdman suit yet but I'd like to in future. I want to order a new container either from wings or mirage . I know that wings has an option for a birdman . I contacted mirage today about the subject but sometimes they're slow at getting back to my questions . Has anyone with a mirage had to get a modification on their container so the bag comes out easily cruising that fast while dumping . Thanks for the help ! cya up there

Or you might ask from finnish wingsuit instructor Vesa, he goes by the username vesatoro here at dz.com. He jumps a mirage and has done the mod. He uses the same rig for freeflying also and says it works great.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

>Pardon my ignorance but how is this mod performed?

When jumping a wingsuit, the bag leaves the container more towards the feet of the jumper than on a regular skydive, due to the higher forward speed. This can cause problems, as the container was designed for the bag to leave straight up. The bag tries to leave the container "through" the bottom flap, which it can't, so the bag flips over it, sometimes causing line twists.

The mod: Basically, you just open the bottom corner seams of the main container for some length. This allows the bag to come out of the container more cleanly.

Erno

This is a BASE container (Morpheus Gargoyle) so the whole container is open and may look very different to you without the reserve, but you can see an example of the dynamic corners.

They are the quarter circle shapes between the side and bottom flaps. The fold in them allow them fold up on themselves and sit between the canopy and the side flaps.

Mirage and Wings do the mod. however, the mod is not needed if you are deploying properly. Also, after not too many pack jobs, the main container area stretches out and starts to look bad, because there are no corners to help hold its original shape. all you really need is a bridle about 100" long.
Rob Tonnesen

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" -Anais Nin

We do offer "Birdman Options" on the Wings container. These options are the open corners on the main tray and also a longer bridle (106").

These options are free, all you need to do if you'd like them on a new Wings is to write "Birdman Options" in the Special Instructions box on our order form. No extra cost...

Feel free to ask for only the longer bridle or only the open corners if that is what you prefer.

I was browsing through this forum for the first time and just thought I'd post this info in case anyone was wondering. :)
blue skies!
Heather
Sunrise Rigging

thanks Heather, and welcome. i went back and read my comment from july. what i mean by 'proper deployment' is to collapse wings, pause long enough to trade some forward flight for downward speed, then deploy. typically a pause of 2-3 seconds is enough. this helps your deployment come cleaner out of container and it will closely resemble a normal skydive deployment, although at a somewhat lower speed. in my experience, a longer bridle is a good idea for the GTi and Skyflyer. the open bottom corners available as an option from leading manufacturers, can over time, make it hard for the container to maintain proper shape, making it less visually appealing.
Rob Tonnesen

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" -Anais Nin

Hi all. For what it's worth, I am very happy with the dynamic wingsuit corners on my Javelin Odyssey. It does the job of letting my bag come off my back without any sort of resistance, it is easy to pack and it looks great. (Thanks to Robert from Morpheus Technologies who designed them.) Oh yeah, and my openings are consistantly very sweet (although, many factors can effect openings as you know.)
SunPath will put the mod on any new rig and they also sell the corners for after market installation (by your local rigger.)
I also use a 100" bridle and 28" pc. (Should be 100" from pin to pc.)

Best wishes to all!

-Kim Griffin
Business Manager
BirdMan Inc
-Kimberly Griffin

Hi this is just what i do.
i always pull and spread my wings again, so i just fly on. i have only had 1 delay on 100 jumps, it is my opinion that if you pull hard and lay stabile and wait the pilot catches air pretty fast.
It works fine for me all jumps was in a wings rig whit no mod,

By the way next season wee will be about 8 from the staff on Øster Æra dz (Norway) flocking very often so if you drop by on your way to a cliff or so, com and join the flock.. www.fallskjerm.no
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg