AndyMan

Stiletto anyone?

Yes, i normally jump Stiletto 120. It opens equally good with or without a wingsuit. If you need to steer through your openings and cannot reach the risers: grab around 3-rings and shift the weight, that works great.
Jari, Vladi and many others jump heavily loaded sub-90 canopies. Once you get used to a suit, it works as good as without one.
Speaking about openings: with BASE rigs, they actually open much _better_ on wingsuit flights - compared to terminal openings without a suit. I'm still puzzled about it, but statistics are building up... on-heading perfomance is almost perfect on wingsuit flights. Any ideas why?
bsbd!
Yuri.

Tom, i don't think this explains it: by the same logic a head-down opening without a suit would work better than flat'n'stable ;-)
Fall rate/forward speed on the old suits were roughly 40/80 mph. I'll have some data on my new suit within a month.
bsbd!
Yuri.

> by the same logic a head-down opening without a suit would work better than flat'n'stable
I'm not sure that's true. The logic would seem to imply that the canopy would inflate at a negative angle of attack equal to the head down pitch of the jumpers body--an on-heading toward the ground, not forward.
Another idea:
The canopy effectively begins to open behind you (due to it's angle of deployment). During inflation, your body weight/momentum pull the canopy forward. This has an effect similar to kiting the canopy forward (i.e. it turns to match the direction of pull--or flight).
What would happen if you laid the canopy out (cocooned) at line stretch behind you, then somehow began running forward at 80 mph? I'd guess the canopy would inflate on heading, since you were pulling it in that direction. Even if the canopy started inflating off-heading, the force on it would pull it into an on-heading. I bet this would even happen if you laid the canopy out sideways or backward.
Another weird thought: If this reasoning is accurate, vented canopies might have different wingsuit opening characteristics than unvented canopies. Unfortunately, I've pretty much exclusively jumped a Vtec FOX with the suit. Have you noticed any difference between vented and unvented canopies?
I think that the received wisdom has always been that deploying directly from max track yields better heading--with a wingsuit I'd expect it to be more so. Maybe the data to analyze the situation exists if we could pull together numbers on non-suit max track deployments as well.
One other interesting thing. McConkeys appear to have a better opening heading rate than standard deployments. Could this be a related phenomenon? My "body momentum force" hypothesis ought to apply (to a lesser degree) to McConkey deployments as well.
BTW, as far as the original post, I skydive a Stiletto 135, loaded at about 1.5, and haven't had any problems since about jump number 10 on the suit (when I lengthened my bridle and switched my PC pack job from a half moon to a burrito).
--Tom Aiello
[email protected]

I made seven wingsuit jumps this weekend (my first seven, beer on the way) under a Stiletto 135 @ 1.6.

I had line twist on jump #2, but was able to kick out after releasing the arm wings. I had serious line twist on jump #7, released the arm wings, cutaway the leg, and ended up chopping at 2k.

Jari and Yuri both agreed that my body position, unmodified container and bridle, and lack of wingsuit experience contributed to the twists, but I still think the Stiletto might not be the best choice. I wish I still had my Spectre, and would probably use one for Birdman flights in the future.

- Dan G

- Dan G

In Finland it's required that on your first five wingsuit flights you use non-elliptical canopy. I used Sabre on my first five and now i have started to use my stiletto (loaded 1.5). I have currently 3 flights with it and have had no problems. I'd figure that once you feel comfortable with the (odd) opening position, you are good to go with stiletto (or any other elliptical).
(So little experience though, that i could be so badly wrong...)
http://www.ufufreefly.com

over the last few jumps on my skyflyer i have used a sabre 2 107 and love it, sweet, slow, on heading openings and a bit of fun under canopy compared with the spectre range, I would recommend the spectre as a great wingsuit flyers canopy, and now the sabre 2 as well.... I jump a small vx generally so thats out of the question for me on any wingsuit descent, i would rather have the slower non-elliptical canopy and a slower canopy ride than a hot elliptical and the chance of extra problems...

I jump non moded container, bridle and P.C....

Fordy
Fordy

That was the 500th post here so the forum can now attempt to learn to fly a Birdman suit on it's own :-P

Seriously though, how did you get on with that container you were trying to mod Fordy?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live