GroundZero

Fluckin Flockin in Tennessee This weekend...

Birdmen (and wannabees!),
If you're in the mid-south area (or have frequent flyer miles)... come to McMinnville, Tennessee this weekend! (Friday-Sunday, May 17, 18, 19th) As we say here in Tennessee, we're fluckin flockin!! Bring your suits, we've got Bob Hallett's (along with Bob, with suit, I'm sure) Skyvan and Mike's King Air. Both great platforms for Bird-Manning.
I'll be there early, got a few suits for the newbies, and if you've never been to Tennessee before, you should know we love to FLY. Spread the word... we are flying wingsuits! Lots of open country for the newbies who find out we can fly far from the DZ.
I'll also have Ground Zero demos... Xaos-21 (you'll see 27's too!), Nitron and Synergy... and perhaps previews of others?
Who's nearby? This is a very fun boogie! (Like the old days, all us other dzo's shut down to go play.) Email for more info...
Wingsuit jumps from the best tailgate (easiest way to make that first wingsuit flight) and from the highest (23,000'+ Birdman suit jumps... can you say 4 minute flight?)
Chris
Precision Aerodynamics
(Bird-Man Enthusiast!)
[email protected]
p.s. Chuck, can ya make it?

> and from the highest (23,000'+ Birdman suit jumps... can you say 4 minute flight?)
Hey Chris,
I've been pondering the feasability of HA Birdman flights recently. Would you have bail-out oxygen with you? I've never done a jump above 18,000 and I'm not a physician or pilot but wouldn't a wingsuit flight from 23,000 without supplemental oxygen on the way down be dangerous? If it is without extra oxygen, at what altitude would you consider you'd be back into air with a safe concentration of oxygen? i.e. how far do you have to descend in the suit whilst risking hypoxia? Say it's 18,000 feet. That's a descent of 5,000 feet. Close to the ground that could take a fairly skilled flyer up to a minute (although higher up where the air is less dense it would probably be significantly shorter). Even so, say 30 seconds between 23,000 and 18,000 whilst working a wingsuit without oxygen sounds dodgy to me. I hope I'm jumping the gun here, but I thought I'd get all my thoughts down rather than going backwards and forwards.
4 minutes freefalls? What did Adrian do? 4 minutes 55 from 33,850 feet? He had an extra 10,000 feet of albeit rapdily thinning air over you guys. It will be interesting to see how you fair. Don't forget that a ProTrack's memory is full after 120 seconds so you may want to contact Airtec or L&B for a box of tricks that will better help you time your flight.
Should be interesting :-)

Craig,
Thanks for that info!
I've only jumped a Pro-Track on a few Bird-Man jumps, most from higher altitudes... I thought there was a problem with each one I jumped... from 20+k i was getting 57 seconds or 80 seconds... or some way off number... Makes perfect sense now... add 120 seconds and we now have a correct freefall time (flite time).
Has anyone else discovered this and does the "SLO" setting make any difference?
I've recently taken delivery on a pro-track/logtrack for my use (er, uh, well... for work, ya know), but I'll test drive it and report back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Craig, I'll send data, but the only thing I have is from my pocket while I was flying (a Cessna). It did record the flights...
Shit, I may have to read the Manual...
Chris

Correction, it will only indicate 19,999 feet on the display since that is the limitation of the LCD matrix but it will correctly record (and download to JumpTrack) altitudes equal to or greater than 20,000 feet.
Actually, just checked the manual and it says the Maximum Logging Altitude for the Datalogger is 19,999 feet.
However, my other half did a HA jump from the King Air at Quincy last year and this is the graph of here jump with the exit altitude correctly reported.
This bastard system won't let me make a link out of this
http://www.speedskydiving.org/WebJumpTrack_ui.asp?id=272&db=Caroline Hughes&Speed=mph&Altitude=feet&Airspeed=TAS
It keeps replacing the percent20 (I can't even put the sysmbol in!) with a space which breaks it so you'll have to copy and paste manually.