Fordy

wingtips on skyflyer...

i have over the weekend been playing with the wingtips on the skyflyer during flight, in the slipstream when the wing is inflating i am reaching back and taking hold of the bottom corner of the wing between thumb and forefinger and tweeking it out with the intention of stiffening the wing.... i have managed a 48mph flight from 11900 pulling at 3500 at 2 minutes exactly, there is definately a difference in the flight characteristics when i have a good taught grip on the wingtip... as yet i am not sure how much of a posotive difference..
If you are flying using this technique i am interested in how you find it, as i may end up modifying the tip's with a easy to grab handle (it hurts the wrists reaching back and maintaining the position over any length of time).... all views appreciated...
Fordy

Bugger, meant to try that out this weekend but I had other things on my mind during my one and only Birdman jump :-)
Should also work on a GTi since the wing drops down before cutting in to the body unlike the Classic which is a straight line to the body. Anyone tried it on a classic?
Will let you know how I get on. Might ask you to mod my suit too Andy if it works out?

I think from the flights i have made with GTi fliers the wing curves back towards the body, where as the s'flyer wing drops straight down parallell to the body... this may make it harder to pick up (it's hard enough with the straight wing tip..)
Fordy

well at the moment i am doing a lot of one on one and group dives so the descent is always going to be a little faster, i managed a couple of solo's today both "plucking" at the wingtips for part of the flight and had a 51mph average and a 56mph average, the weather wasn't awesome so i spent some time carving down through gaps in the clouds thus adding speed to the descent.... i think i am going to mod the wing tips with an easy grip toggle maybe on bungee cord so it retracts when i am flying to dock or deploy. I don't really want a trailing loop of tape flapping around when i deploy as murphy may step in and kick my arse.. :-)
I am convinced (in my own little world!!!) that the eXtra stiffness in the wing the "plucking" provides is having a posotive effect on the descent rate, it is just un-comfortable to maintain and a bit of a pain to initially pick up (i have to chase the wing corner with my thumb and forefinger) and i can't see my wrist alti as it points away from me... doh!.... but i am having fun experimenting and it feels slower when i have hold and hit the position....
still having a ball..
Fordy