guest700

Beginner Suit

I am interested in learning to fly a wing suit, I know the classic is the beginner suit, but will I want more performance from it than it can give eventually, resulting in having to purchase a GTI, has anyone else started out on a GTI and is this possible?? I have over 500 skydives and 60 BASE jumps.
thanks for everything, especially the flames!

I did one "familiarisation" jump on a classic on my 505th jump under the supervision of an experienced wingsuit flyer and instructor before ordering my GTi. My second Birdman jump was with my GTi. I noticed very little difference (not surprising with only one jump on the Classic). In fact, if anything, the flight on the Classic was more efficient! Though I'm sure there are some who will verify that I'm not flying the GTi to it's limits so maybe I haven't found the difference. However, good flyers on Classics can easily outfly poorer flyers on GTis (and maybe even Skyflyers, but if one is a poor flyer, what is one doing on a Skyflyer?).
I'd compare it to how some schools put first time students out on ZP canopies these days rather than F1-11. The Classic was the first edition, things move on. With your experience you *should* be okay on a GTi and it will have more future. Try doing a couple on a demo Classic before ordering. I've not flown a Skyflyer but from what I've heard there is a distinct difference between it and the GTi unlike between the GTi and the Classic so it would probably be unwise to do your first 'few' (<50?) on a Skyflyer.
I'm not an instructor, Birdman or otherwise, so consult with one or the manufacturer. Just giving you an idea of the path I took and I'm not an exceptional jumper.

I got a Classic II second hand and have made about 90 jumps on it now as far as performance goes it flies very nicely and I can stay with GTi flyers and skyflyers alike without them having to slow down dramatically.
Those people I know who have gone straight to the GTi have had no problems under the proper instruction, but the classic is still very good and by all accounts there is very little between the two, obviously this is dependant on flying skills.
Skyflyer very soon:).
Cheers
Fraser

Agreed. I never made a jump on a Classic; only demo GTi's before buying my own GTi. I didn't have any problem with it at all. As for better fliers being able to do truly bad-ass things in a classic, that is definitely true. Bobby Pritchard has slowed his to 28mph for extended periods and rules over Raeford. He jumped my GTi two weekends ago a few times and he said the biggest difference is in the physical strain to maintain an efficient wing. He said his arms were smoked after jumping my suit.
I don't think a GTi is a bad choice as a first suit for someone with a "calm" body position in whatever their other chosen discipline is.
Chuck
My webpage HERE