sigma40sw

Landing a wingsuit

Well, that's going to depend a lot on how efficient you can actually make a wing suit, but I doubt that you can make a wingsuit as efficient as a canopy

Why?
Wing suits don't have the lines producing drag....

and we can't control a canopy the same way we can "bend" a wingsuit...

Bet we land the suits very soon.

Chris

Ask yourself this question:
Would you land a Velocity 25 with your belly first? Then multiply the danger with x for more speed and y for the f-ckup factor. Still up for it? B|

I'm sure someone will land a suit eventually, it's going to be one h-ll of an accomplishment. Looking forward to see the video :)
/Micke N

I was talking to a very experienced wingsuit flyer this weekend who told me that he will attempt to land a wingsuit within the next year. Can't provide any more details but if it happens, I'm sure everyone will hear about it.

Posted on May 14 2002 (Highlights are mine.)

:)

are you the one that "landed" it? cough cough...

Would it help if I typed slowly? ;) Go read the skydiving and BASE fatalities lists. Quite a few people have landed wingsuits (just the once).

Actually I believe Yuri's friend has landed one and "walked' away from it (though not immediately) i haven't seen the video but have heard it's a true story.. low deployment impacted ground at line stretch...

still jumps

Actually I believe Yuri's friend has landed one and "walked' away from it (though not immediately) i haven't seen the video but have heard it's a true story.. low deployment impacted ground at line stretch...

still jumps

Thats not quite "landing" it... But still amazing he lived...
thats one lucky duck
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Exactly right. Birds, for example, have hollow bones,
so much less weight to suspend on their wings.

I don't know if all of you saw the Popular Science article about Bird Man and Jari, but it has a pretty
insightful graphic about the size of wings needed to match that of a flying squirrel..

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviation/article/0,12543,459355-3,00.html

If I remember right, in the article, Jari tells of Rob 'trying to kill him' with larger and larger wings. He said it got to a point where he just didnt have the strength to resist the drag, and ended up deploying to end the skydive.

There is a fine line with all this discussion.. I mean, we could build rigid structures.. and we could reinforce the landing area... maybe put wheels on.. and change the angle of the person, so that they aren't landing face first.. and we can make rudders...

And then we would have a glider!
or
a Hanglider!

Same thing with 'well, maybe make something the birdman can release, to slow down the forward speed... '

Right.. its called a parachute.

If the case is 'survive a fall from an airplane', then that has been done.. I think a ...stewardess? fell from a plane, landed through trees.. and survived..

Anyway.. not to discourage this idea, but there are limits to what you can really do, before you bump into the realm of things that have already been done.