skymama

Two Jumpers Make History

Two Jumpers Make History
The first controlled dock between a canopy pilot and a skydiver in freefall is a fact!
In the skies of DeLand, Florida, around four o'clock in the afternoon on April 17th, Jari Kuosma, wearing a Skyflyer wingsuit, did a controlled dock on the ankle of Vladi Pesa who was flying his Performance Designs Velocity 84.
Kuosma is the president of BirdMan, Inc. and has 2100 jumps in total, 1100 of those are wingsuit jumps. Pesa has 8,000 jumps and is an experienced canopy swoop competitor, AFF JM, tandem master, and a BirdMan instructor.
Videographer Todd Sutherland, flying his Skyflyer along side of Kuosma, was there to capture the magic moment.
Pesa wore a weight bag of 30 pounds; his wingloading was 3.5 to 1. His canopy risers were specially designed for this project in order to increase the speed and vertical decent of his Velocity.
This was Pesa's and Kuosma's 17th attempt trying to close the gap between canopy and wingsuit.
"We flew in close formation - within inches away from one another - during the last six attempts," said Kuosma, "but I had a hard time closing that final gap since I was at the edge of my Skyflyer's performance envelope."
"This flight was the physically hardest of all," said Kuosma. "Unfortunately Vladi's canopy turned 180 degrees on deployment, which made him travel at a high rate of speed in the opposite direction of what we had planned. Todd and I almost lost our faith, Vladi seemed to be miles away and there was no way he was able to see us on the horizon. Just prior to break off, though, we saw each other and I just went for it."
On this attempt I tried a new angle of attack. In past jumps, I had been flying above Vladi's canopy, just off the edge of his wing and arching to come down to his ankle. This time I still flew parallel to and above his canopy, but further away horizontally; I got to his ankle by doing a vertical side slide," Kuosma says.
Break off was planned at 5000 feet to give Jari time to safely deploy and Vladi the chance to unlock his risers and prepare for an intense landing.
"The weirdest part was looking at Jari breaking off and deploying his parachute right next to me while I was already under canopy," said Pesa. "How are the landings you wonder? - FAST !!"
A Larsen & Brusgaard ProTrack recorded Jari's average vertical speed at 35mph. The two estimate their forward speed at 60-70mph.
The two are planning to do more attempts in the next few days in order to get better video and still footage to show the world. It is not an easy task to capture such a unique stunt on film. "Southerland is doing a great job staying with us though," says Kuosma.
Kuosma and Pesa warn jumpers to not attempt this stunt without consulting them. You can contact Kuosma at the BirdMan office, (386) 785-0800 or Pesa at (386) 801-6295.
Andrea
I'm high as a kite
I just might
Stop and check you out.

I watched Andy Farrington and Luke Aikens try something like this last summer. Luke was flying a XAOS 69, Andy on a birdman. Luke was wearing smoke, so we could see him do a 360 every couple seconds to get down to Andy. They could kinda fly on the same level, but docking was way out.
These guys seem to have it dialed. Sounds like he has a couple inches of riser pulled in. cool stuff.

I have a problem with calling a birdman a "skydiver in freefall"
He's sort of a hybrid between freefall and canopy pilot. the more advanced birdman suits are going to look more and more like a canopy that you wear.
It becomes difficult to draw the line anymore.

I Don't know Vladi Pesa personally but I think that they need to check their math in the story. They said he only wore 30 lbs to load the Vel 84 to 3.5:1? That means that Vladi alone weighs 264 pounds. Please check it out because I would like to see the real wing loading, not something made up to make the story sound good.

Vladi alone weighs 264 pounds.

Vladi is a big boy but very docilie;). I love Vladi and I'm stoked him and Jari were finally able to pull it off. Actually, I shouldn't say finally, as 17 jumps isn't much practice to pull something like that off. I've watched them trying for it but I'm sorry to say, I wasn't there the day they pulled it off.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Way to go Jari!!!
Congratulations!! ;)

Were is the video??? if is not in video it didn't happen! :D

Please post it ;)

Medusa

Hate to burst your bubble, but this happened in April 2002 already. :)
Dunno why DaLowestBird posted to this old thread?
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Costyn:

I know there have been 5 or 10 people flying canopies and wing suits next to each other. I have heard people saying that they dock, when I see the video all I can see is a slightly touch less than one second and I’m my book that’s not consider a dock!

In the other hand this report says:

”did a controlled dock on the ankle of Vladi Pesa who was flying his Performance Designs Velocity 84.”

I’m pretty sure that they hold the dock for longer that anybody else and I’m drooling to se this video. ;)
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456