SCR10480

Dealing with "Dealers"?

It might surprise you to step into a parachute canopy "sweat-shop", which looks like any third-world garment factory. The big outdoor shops like REI have done many tests around the world, and it has been found that uneducated petite asian and latin-american women with small hands are best suited for long hours of precision sewing.

But, are they not also considered among the top fabric artisans the "civilized" world has ever known?

Anyway, Whomever they might be, they made just exactly what the dealer sent them...not one missed stitch.

I don't imply that you are ignorant or stupid, who am i to?

Well, where exactly did you get that orderform/color selector for PD canopies from?
If it wasn't the dealer where you ordered it, you're boned.
I just took a look at Square2, they have the orderforms as PDFs as it is pretty much standard for orderforms on the web, and its labelled #1 in center.

But if it was a fancy interactive canopy designer, the website operator usually has to remap the output of the designer application to the manufacturers orderform. And if its a different dealer, he can't remap.:S

Just my 2 ¢B|
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

It's truly unfortunate that stuff like this happens. Not knowing anything about the dealer you bought it through, I won't run the guy down, but this is just another reason to make sure you're buying your stuff through a shop with a history of customer service.

I've yelled and screamed on this before, but saving a hundred bucks or so just isn't worth this kind of trouble!! Deal with a professional shop, yes you will pay a bit more to support their overhead, but they'll take care of you!

Like I said, you might have been dealing with a shop, but I'm betting they wouldn't fall under the title of PROFESSIONAL if they won't help you out in this situation.

THE CUSTOMER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND, TREAT HIM THAT WAY!!!...or he'll go elsewhere...which is what I'm guessing you'll do in the future!

Thanks Ryan, but I wasn't "bargain hunting" and I did pay the going rate!

When I bought my Hornet from you, I got great service, a great price, and an excellent canopy. I do believe in the "two way street" and the "one hand washes the other" philosophy. But, and try your best to understand...this situation is bizarre! The dealer is being...well, childish about the whole thing. He sounds like a parrot, that just keeps repeating "it's not my fault, it's not my fault."

All I'm asking for is some advice on what would be a fair solution, not an acquittal. I've done nothing wrong, yet a mistake was made and it cost me a lot of money. Do I seek damages? Do I try to smear this man's reputation? Or do I try to get this solved in a professional manner?

Why is the dealer so resistant to a logical remedy?

did you pay for this canopy with a credit card? if so call your dealer and mention the credit protection act and let him know that you will doa charge back on your credit card until this matter is solved. also do you have the order form from the original order. if so then call your dealer and tell him you still have the original order form or bettter yet ask if he still has it if so make him fax it back to you the copy you faxed it will have a time and date on it when you faxed it to him there for case would be won.
and to the comment on car mechanics i am one and not all of us bamboozle people, you would beleive how many people try to not pay there bill because they think 20/20 shows give them a right to free car repairs.

Hi Mike...didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I too am in the service industry. I only used Mechanics as an example, because I am most familiar with their trade. I couldn't say that 99% of lawyers, give the other's a bad name, now could I?

To your questions, No card...CASH, as the man requested. In advance. I have all the forms, I have all the dates.

Now, let me ask you, and in all hoesty tell me what you would do if you were out several hundred dollars for something and you were told "Too bad, better luck next time?" When you were supposed to be dealing with a Pro that claims 30 years of customer satisfaction? Huh, am I just a problem consumer or am I getting taken advantage of?

I think you should try and fix the problem but if all else fails others should be warned of the dealers lack of customer service..... This might not get your money back but damn wouldn't it be satisfying!!

Thanks Mate!
I'll have to admit that I am becoming increasingly angry, and have thoughts of posting the business's name, address, phone number and web address on as many sites as I can find! But, revenge is not what I'm after.
Do you think asking for a new (correct this time) canopy, at the DEALER'S cost is unreasonable? Also the use of this abstract modern art eyesore until the RIGHT canopy is ready to be shipped?

Thanks Mate!
I'll have to admit that I am becoming increasingly angry, and have thoughts of posting the business's name, address, phone number and web address on as many sites as I can find! But, revenge is not what I'm after.
Do you think asking for a new (correct this time) canopy, at the DEALER'S cost is unreasonable? Also the use of this abstract modern art eyesore until the RIGHT canopy is ready to be shipped?

Not sure the use of the canopy would be agreed upon but certainly the dealer orders your real canopy and you give them the crud canopy AFTER they do so and its there problem to sell it sounds the least they can do.

I'd consider contacting the manufacturer directly with your information.

For one thing, they might terminate their relationship with the dealer. Or they might put some pressure on the dealer.

Either way, this sucks. Make some color copies of your canopy design so that you always have one to hand out without its being your last.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Not sure the use of the canopy would be agreed upon but certainly the dealer orders your real canopy and you give them the crud canopy AFTER they do so and its there problem to sell it sounds the least they can do.

Well, the one thing I am certain of in this situation, is that the dealer will do his VERY least!

So, I guess my demands for an all expense paid trip to DeLand for two weeks will be refused as well.

I'd consider contacting the manufacturer directly with your information.

For one thing, they might terminate their relationship with the dealer. Or they might put some pressure on the dealer.

Either way, this sucks. Make some color copies of your canopy design so that you always have one to hand out without its being your last.

Thanks Wendy, but I've already been in contact with Rusty at PD, as they were the first the dealer "blamed" for this whole mess...you see, that's the whole problem here! The dealer doesn't care to remedy this, he wants to blame someone for it!

Who do I argue with? The dealer is very bullheaded and unreasonable, saying I should have known the format he would be using...BS!!!! He got his money up front, and could give a crap less whether or not I got what I paid for.

Like I said, I doubt you could put the word PROFESSIONAL in front of the shop if they're treating you like this.

Just because they've been around for 30 years DOES NOT MAKE THEM PROFESSIONAL! If people don't continue to frequent dealers that treat them poorly (not necessarily this shop in particular), they would go out of business and the industry would be better for consumers and dealers!

You want to get their attention? Let them know that you'll be posting their name everywhere you can find to post it and letting everyone know how bad the service was!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

It's always a real bummer when things don't work out the way they should on stuff like this. Best of luck with these guy...I hope you can get it worked out!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

It's always a real bummer when things don't work out the way they should on stuff like this. Best of luck with these guy...I hope you can get it worked out!

Hey! I just typed the dealer's name into the search function...very interesting!

Thanks...very nice BTW. But I did use "a" canopy designer! And it was numbered left to right!!! The dealer then transfered all the info onto his order form. Center out.

Just out of curiosity... what canopy designer did you use?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Due to the obvious legal challenge I'm facing, I think it's best at this point not to release any names other than my own. I appreciate your concern, and value your opinion I just don't want to disclose any details. In the event this matter is not satisfied, I assure you one and all, that I'll scream like a Banshee from the highest mountain top!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And everyone knows that number 1 is the center"...

Hmmm... I didn't know that until I started working at a gear store.

I didn't know that until right now, and I've been working in a gear store for a year. But I always make sure that what i'm ordering is the same as the customer ordered from me.

Sounds like your dealer punted. Hopefully they'll help you fix the situation. It's clearly not "all your fault."

Warren from Parachute Equipment Corporation (PEC) is a thief, and a liar. He just told me "I won't help you, PD can't help you, and I never want to do business with you again"

It just proves that the loss of one customer is no cause for alarm. There are plenty of other sheep to be sheared.

Thanks for all your help and well wishes.

PEC was faxed an order form by the dealer that the canopy was ordered directly from. The order had each panel numbered exactly as the panels are numbered on the PD order form. When we saw the color pattern we called the dealer and told the dealer that the pattern was so unusual that we would not except the order with out a deposit. The deposit was sent and we processed the order for our dealer. In conversations with that dealer regarding this problem we are told that the customer has admitted that he made a mistake in ordering the canopy. We have had discussions with PD regarding this problem and PD has reviewed the order form sent to PEC and the the order form sent to PD by PEC. PD agrees that PEC did nothing wrong and that the customer got what he ordered.

Okay everyone, I need to make it clear that the order form I used WAS NOT Performance Designs. I used the canopy coloring program for a Sabre2 found on another dealer's website. I do not wish to have anyone mistake the fact that the form I used, although it said "SABRE2" on it, it wasn't from PD.

Call Ralph!.

that's a good solution for getting screwed all over again....i have not dealt with PEC before, but i have dealt with ralph and got the shaft....

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!