gus

Slowest vertical speeds

There was a comment in the Blinc wingsuit forum about Jari slowing his suit down to 30mph, although I don't know how accurate that is.
So that got me thinking: what are slowest sustainable/momentary vertical speeds that people have achieved? What do you think the theoretical minimum is with the current suits?
Gus
"Sex? Once every six seconds. Skydiving? Five times, every six seconds."

Well, this is sort of cheating, but I know for a fact that Jari climbed higher than the tail of the CASA on one of the high-speed passes at Quincy last year; it's on video.
Bobby Pritchard here at Raeford regularly logs 30 mph vertical speed for long durations. This, under an old Classic.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

Yehaa! talk about fun, high speed passes from the casas... at Quincy I did a few of them. The most fun was when we let everyone exit and being last out, our pilot (gracey!) dropped the nose again and was able to slowly push up the airspeed to (i think it was) 206kias... Vne with the tailgate open... That's almost 240 mph! Hoping off the tailgate we got pounded in the chest and I know that our airspeed launched us higher... I know that I (at that point) was flying with a positive rate of climb. One thing should be noted, the Casa was descending so the visual of "above the tail" may have been exaggerated by the descending Casa.
So perhaps we can land wingsuits after being L.A.P.E.S.'ed out of the back of high speed aircraft... Sign me up!!!
Hehehehehe, gotta love it!
Chris

on high speed tail gate passes it is possible to fly higher than the plane. this is only possible on a high speed pass.
as far as i know jari has logged a minimum of 18mph momentarially in a stall. my guess is that he has done better but his gps unit is not very accurate and the update rate slow.
we have a datalogger that can record 3d position accurate to 2m, plus a vector velocity in addition to 200hz barametric altitude and acceleration at 1000hz.
with our dataloger the lowest sustained vertical speed i have logged is about 55mph.
as far a momentary my partner in crime simon has logged 0 vertical speed. he cheated though, having his girl on his back they go head down accelerate to above 200mph and then he pulls out to level flight as she sandbags off him. they have managed to go so fast in this way that the stiching has riped off the arm deflectors on his skyflyer.
-dan

they were trying to shoot a red bull clip.
in a few of the clips georgie, flased the red bull can and then dumped her main off his back as the two are in a mad track leveling off from their dive...
yea...messy. the last thing i want when im in my skyflyer is a passenger piggypacking me headdown and dumping off.
-dan