ChromeBoy

Wingsuit

I only have 105 skydives and I see the amount of time I spend jumping decreasing because I am taking on a new job assignment and I am moving to New England = Bad Weather. My new goal is to become a Wingsuit Flier when I can jump so, Chuck, or any qualified WS flier please tell me what I need to do. Almost 95% of my jumps have been RW.

The current recommended beginning skill level is 500 jumps or 200 jumps made in the last 12-months before strapping on a wingsuit.
I know a pretty competent skydiver who tried on a wingsuit at 185 jumps (lied to get a demo a couple of years ago) and after landing he was white as a sheet and didn't come out of his tent at Quincy for a few hours. Apparently the wingsuit took him on a pretty wild ride instead of the other way around.
Chuck should be able to give you a list of the skills and currency you should have in place before trying it.
Good luck and BE SAFE!
Kris

The current recommended beginning skill level is 500 jumps or 200 jumps made in the last 12-months before strapping on a wingsuit.
----------------
The recommendation depends on where you live or is that 500 jumps / 200 in 12 months bird-man inc's recommendation ?
In Finland (where I live) it's 250 jumps and you have to receive training from qualified instructor and jump your first jumps according to predifined training program. If you have over 500 jumps you can jump without the instructor but you still have to follow the training program.

Both are correct. The minimum I am willing to train is 200 very-current jumps and then strictly by the sylabus. You really don't have any business at all just borrowing a suit from someone and "giving it a whirl" solo unless you have over 500 jumps. As previously stated, wingsuit jumping is fairly demanding. Some take to it very easily, only to have near catastrophies trying different tricks later on. You definitely have to be a rock-solid skydiver to even think about it. Tandem master experience and MFF equipment jumps require the same degree of alertness, so those guys are good candidates.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

If you're coming to New England check out Skydive New England is Lebanon Maine. It's the best dropzone around and it's a great learning environment. They have wingsuit demos all summer long. Being in New England doesn't mean bad weather. Last summer the dropzone made about 19,000 skydives, which is good for only 6 months of jumping.

You definitely have to be a rock-solid skydiver to even think about it.

Please define this a little more Chuck. I would assume one would need to be excellent at bellyflying but what dive flows would you recommend to get ready for this? Do you turn yourself basically like you do in a track?
"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto Domo...domo Domo...domo" - Styx

Turning left and right is generally done from the torso, once you have got yourself in the optimal glide configuration. People who constantly are kicking their feet in freefall, what I call "swimming", will have problems in a wingsuit. Keeping your legs extended and still make a world of difference in a wingsuit. Kick your legs and you get very "washy". Likewise, you only make very small body movements to get great reaction out of a wingsuit. What I am implying here is that if you are a "smooth" skydiver, then you will have it easy. Flailers, no matter how experienced are going to have a hard time.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

>>The current recommended beginning skill level is 500 jumps
I talked to Jari recently. He is more flexible, than recommendations on his website. He told me he has taken up people with less than 100 jumps. I'm going to find a wingsuit instructor who will agree to teach me even that I have little less than 200 jumps. Jari gave me couple addresses. So, if you want information, call him, he is really nice

As previously stated, wingsuit jumping is fairly demanding. Some take to it very easily, only to have near catastrophies trying different tricks later on.

I'm curious, what are some of the more common problems that wingsuit pilots experience? What are some of the more uncommon problems? I guess I'm asking, in a sport where anything can happen, what can or does in wingsuit flight?
Thanks Chuck,
Jim

>>The current recommended beginning skill level is 500 jumps
I talked to Jari recently. He is more flexible, than recommendations on his website. He told me he has taken up people with less than 100 jumps. I'm going to find a wingsuit instructor who will agree to teach me even that I have little less than 200 jumps. Jari gave me couple addresses. So, if you want information, call him, he is really nice

So instead of following a conservative safety recommendation, you are going to seek out an instructor who tells you what you want to hear. Well, congratulations, you'll probably find one.
But are you that sure that at under 200 jumps you are statistically that much better than most skydivers? You know, the skydivers that prompted the 500 jump recommendation in the first place?
How about instead of hunting down an instructor who will do what you want, you spend your energies developing your skills instead?
(This applies to canopy choices as well)

last summer jari qualified me as a wing suit instructor. the first 'student' i took up scared me completely. first, because of what he did in the air, but then doubly so because when i located him on the ground (i was expecting him to be dead) he was completely unaware that anything what so ever was wrong.
i think the recommended jump numbers are not etched in stone but are a very good guide line to ensure that wingsuit flyers will have a large enough window of perception to absorb and deal with all the added information going on.
be safe.
sincerely,
dan

Tracking dives would help if they are "real" tracks and not just deltas. A dude flying around on his back in the lead is very rarely in a true high-lift track and therefore it is pretty easy to stay with him, unless you REALLY suck at tracking. If you can stay efficient and still in a tracking dive, then yes, you will have a pretty easy time in a wingsuit. Once again: it's not rocket science, but a person who is smooth in freefall will have a much easier time in a wingsuit.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

vlad, look, if you poke around you will always find someone who is willing to take jumper X on any sort of jump no matter what sort of experience he/she has. Personally, I would say definately don't do it. I have 115 jumps and the thought of me doing a wingsuit jump frightens me at my current skill level. You'll right that off as someone who isn't willing to take chances to do cool stuff in freefall, well, remember how many people have jumped with a pumpkin on their head, huh?
Geoff was someone I knew and he went in jumping a wingsuit last summer, not a fun feeling. He had an intanglement with his PC and wasn't able to deploy his reserve, bad juju. He also had met the recommended minimum jump requirements and had jumped a wingsuit a few times. Ask Chuck (skymonkeyOne) about his recent cutaway, you'll get an eye opener.
Not trying to steal your thunder, its just that I've only been in this sport for 2 years and I'm already tired of seeing people I've met or known go in or get hurt.
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapieze, I can fly