ChromeBoy

Wing Suit

Required jumps was at 500 not long ago, but I've heard rumors that total jump numbers are now not critical, currency is. You have to have done like X jumps in the last Y months. Currency is a lot better, but I'm still going to wait till at lest 350 (80 more) before I think about getting a demo again.
Deployment is different, both hand back along your BOC... Slide them till you grab the hackey with the right, continue bringing both forward at the same rate and toss and keep the arms moving forward is what I've been told time after time. You deploy with a lot of forward speed so the openings are a bit different.
You get 3 cutaway handles on the suit, one for each wing and one for the legs. You also have to unzip parts for landing.
Overall it looks cool, but its a complicated skydive. Not your average walk in the park jump...
I have never jumped a suit so take this post for what you will....
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

I have 7 jumps in a birdman wing suit.. It is a matter of education more than anything. Do not get in that suit until you have studied what can go wrong and how you will react in an emergency. How to exit the aircraft. Know your range of motion. If you find yourself in a spinning malfunction under a small main you could be screwed if your procedures aren't EXACT. You can't reach the handles the same in a wing suit. I pulled higher.. No less than 5k because it took me a bit to get the damned thing loosened up so I could fly the canopy. I have heard of some REALLY slow fall rates in those things..
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!
http://www.aahit.com

The current recommendations are 200 jumps within the last 12-months. I also think they recommend ground instruction and a checkout flight with an experienced wingsuit pilot.
Wingsuits sound really fun and I can't wait to try one but I think I will wait until I am around the 400-500 jump mark as that is where my comfort level lies.
Hell, with a wingsuit I might finally be able to hold a decent fall-rate!
Kris
My body is like a God's, it just happens to be Buddha.

id like to try one with my current belly to earth fall rate i can achieve sub 100 like to see what i can do with a bird man!!!!!
i have the jumps just dont have the access
dont let your mind wander.....its to little to be left alone......

Just go to www.bird-man.com
In Finnland you can go with an instructor with only 200 jumps,the falling rate can be as low as 70km/h.Forwardspeed up to 150 km/h glide ratio up to 2:1.So what can it bring for us in the future?mmhh "LANDING WITHOUT A PARACHUTE"mmmhh not yet we will see in the future.Ei muuta kun ollaan lintuja vaan siellä taivaalla:)Let`s fly like the Bird`s in sky.
P.S I have never jump a birdsuit, but waiting for my 200 to come and than...........:).....:)))

Thanks Jussi, if there's room for one "outsider" from central Finland I'll be there :)
Too bad the weather looks pretty bad for this Saturday, OH-JLK is now sold and while we are looking for a new plane I have accept being a refugee at other dropzones... :(

Hi Kari, i think we can deal with one "outsider" ;) lol
i promise NOT to bring my birdman suit to jyväskylä for a while when you guys get a new plane, we don´t want anything
bad to happen to the plane (or suit), RIGHT?? :)

Don't get me wrong guys.. The birdman suit is TONS of fun.. I was at 10,000 watching the tandems open below me. I flew circles around the airport.. 2 minute plus freefall.. Amazing forward speed.. EXTREMELY slow speed openings.. Just make sure you have practiced your emergency procedures time and time again.. Know how to cut the wings away.. Pull REALLY high say 7 grand the first time just to get familiar with everything. Have fun and be safe!! I will be purchasing a birdman suit soon!! IT was that cool!
Rhino
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!
http://www.aahit.com

Yes, OH-JLK won't fly in Jyväskylä anymore - it will be flown to Germany next week and from there to Switzerland - 2 bad we had to sell her. If anyone has a 206 or 182 for sale, email me :)
But back to wingsuit-jumping - I have to keep in mind those 30 jumps - staying current if we won't have a working airplane will be a little more difficult, but 30 jumps can be jumped easily elsewhere also ;-)
BTW, Jussi has seen my Wings - they have the "low profile" PUD-handle on the BOC - not the hackey one - will this be a problem on wingsuit-jumps? I would imagine that a "regular" handle would be easier to pull w/wings attached - normally when I pull I first pull backwards towards my legs to get the handle out and the throw the PC out in the airstream.
I know that wingsuit-mod for the container is highly recommended, but I think I have to try the damn thing first befor letting my rig get cut in pieces ;)
-Kari

"BTW, Jussi has seen my Wings - they have the "low profile" PUD-handle on the BOC - not the hackey one - will this be a problem on wingsuit-jumps?"
Well, not a "problem", but something to think about.
I`ve made one jump with similar setup, and i pulled just the same way as usual..;)
"know that wingsuit-mod for the container is highly recommended, but I think I have to try the damn thing first befor letting my rig get cut in pieces ;)"

it´s not compulsory to cut it to pieces;)
but it helps....
i´ve packed lots of rigs that are modified, and they are so easy
to pack;)
Disclaimer: I´m drunk at the moment;)