DHemer

CRW on a pilot

CRW has been dead for a few years at my club but two old CRW dogs have recently got back into jumping and are looking to get things active again

I am not in the position to get a second canopy and our club only has 9 cell mains in the rental gear.

I did some proximity flying with the one jumper yesterday getting tips on matching speed and levels and really enjoyed it.

Both of the experienced jumps say they are happy to do CRW on a 9 cell like the pilot which is what I currently jump but I am wondering what the wider community thought.

I am looking to try CRW for the challenge of something new, to learn to fly my canopy better and to have fun.

Short version: Bad idea to do CRW on a pilot or just do it and don't fuck up too bad

If the experienced dawgs are cool with it, have fun and be safe. The issue with 9 cells is that they most likely have micro lines which can cut someone up in an entanglement. And that their closing speed is faster than a 7 cell.

CRW can be done on pretty much any canopy as long as the canopy's characteristics are accounted for and things are kept centered and slow and gentle if needed.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

CRW with microlines can involve deep cuts even outside of an entanglement scenario. I'd personally had them when playing around with microlined triathlons many years ago, wont make that mistake again.

As said, you can do CRW on anything. As to whether its a good thing. Its hard on gear, the compatibility of a pilot with other canopies is not good, the pilot doesn't have retract system so more chance of pilot chute entanglements. 9 cell aspect ratios also mean glide is normally significantly different.

So basically its possible but the risks are increased. If you want to do CRW get a CRW canopy as you will have less issues.

For a simple stack Pilots are ok - though as other people have said - micro lines can be iffy when things go wrong. If you can only afford one canopy, you probably can trade online your Pilot for a Spectre or a Triathlon which can be used for both CRW or freefall...

DHemer

CRW has been dead for a few years at my club but two old CRW dogs have recently got back into jumping and are looking to get things active again

I am not in the position to get a second canopy and our club only has 9 cell mains in the rental gear.

I did some proximity flying with the one jumper yesterday getting tips on matching speed and levels and really enjoyed it.

Both of the experienced jumps say they are happy to do CRW on a 9 cell like the pilot which is what I currently jump but I am wondering what the wider community thought.

I am looking to try CRW for the challenge of something new, to learn to fly my canopy better and to have fun.

Short version: Bad idea to do CRW on a pilot or just do it and don't fuck up too bad

Use ankle braces/support and you can just laugh when your friend docks hard on you.
Without them you won't be laughing B|

My personal experience - I was part of an informal group of 4 guys (3 Triathlons and 1 Sabre) who got together as often as we could and did stacks with rotations without a problem (250+ jumps). We knew the risks and were as careful as can be. I had non-cascaded dacron lines on my Triathlon for CRW though it was my main canopy for everything else.

I have since gone back to the standard microline set since the reline.

One thing to remember, 7 cells tend to sink faster than 9 cells, which has a flatter glide slope. So you need to consider that in the gear you use, as well as the wingloading of your jumpmates and their gear. Go cautiously. :)
Of course, I will also tell you it is better to have Lightnings similarly loaded but only if you are serious about CRW.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've got a couple hundred CRW jumps on Pilots. It's not the best choice but two stacks shouldn't be too much of a problem. They do close fast, however, and I suspect a nine cell is more likely to wrap. You can get your Pilot relined in Dacron to make it safer. Also do not attempt planes without a retractable pilot chute. I've done CRW with Lightnings, Storms, Spectres, Triathalons and Pilots, and I've docked on Velos, Stilettos, Mantas, Sabres and many others. Don't get agressive and make sure you know how to bail in case you are closing too fast, and you'll be alright. (Don't forget to disconnect your RSL).
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

RedundantRigger

Just wondering. Do you just let the RSL shackle hang loose or do you stow it somewhere maybe?

I just disconnect mine before getting in the plane and stow it, maybe even hook it to something else out of the way. There was a time when I just took it completely off my rig though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If your asking this then potentially you should be discussing this with a local crw jumper who can advise you if your gear is suitable and you have sufficient skills and knowledge to be doing crw in the first place. There's a lot that can happen and this is a pretty basic 101 question about the rsl.