strife

Container for Lightning 160

Im looking at doing a bit a crw and want to put a rig together for probably a new lightning. Ive been trawling and and a bit of reading.

Im reading about 20% bigger or a couple of sizes so a container for 190-220 would be the go?

Any other tips to source other items for the rig?

Thanks in advance

I used to have a old student rig for my 160.
I'm not sure what size rig it was but it had a 218 reserve, so my guess is that it was a 240 main rig.
It was a loose fit, not dangerously loose.
It was easy to pack in any weather loose.
And it had a large reserve :)
It might be cheaper to buy a old student rig than a 210 rig (I believe that will be a good fit) because 210 rigs are some peoples first rig.

I jump a 193 Lightning in a Dolphin D5, and although I haven't tried it, it would probably fit a D4. It fits fine whether using a bag or the tail pocket. A 176 should easily fit a D4 and probably even a D3. Second hand Dolphins are usually cheap and very good rigs. I think there are several for sale in the classifieds.

SecondRound

Any suggestions about fitting a 176 Lightning? It looks to me like CRW fit is a lot different than free-fly fit. I am a rigger and I plan to pack in a tail-pocket.

I would recommend something that comfortably fits a microline 190. Even then a Lightning 176 might be snug depending on the fit of the container.

Since when are crw dogs so picky? Any airworthy container that matches your budget, body, and reserve size preference will do.
Obviously bigger is better for packing, but I'm a sloppy lightning packer (as long as I don't give myself line twists or damage the top skin with the bridle retraction rings, I'm happy). A 126 fits into the tray built for a 150 quite nice, I don't have to change closing loops for that one, and a 176 fits into a container built for a 126. Not easy to pack, but functional without fabric hanging out all over.

An old Vector built for 170-210 should be easy to find since even novice jumpers want safety features like AAD, RSL, and riser protection. Maybe an ISO add would help you out?

I put a 160 with tail pocket in an old Talon that was sized for a 170 main that packed easy, and 190 tight with lengthened closing loop.

Often, an old Vector 2 container with velcro can be found real cheap.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Erred on container specifics. It's a Talon2 sized for a 210 main with a 210 reserve. I will be getting both widths of riser with large ring 3 rings and comes with wide leg straps. All the input has helped and any additional information will be taken seriously and appreciated.

Just to cover some more bases since this is a good "choosing gear" thread. For leg straps you can get seatbelt covers to make them a bit more comfy. The more outrageous the better. Also, you'll want a rig with few snag hazards. Run a line across all parts to make sure nothing catches. Exposed pop tops are a bad choice unless you can cinch them down tight and pass the string test.

For rig size, there's no reason not to go a little bigger on the reserve and main tray as long as the rig still fits.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You don't really need a tail pocket unless you are competing. I used one for both competition and recreational CRW for a long time. Last season I finally switched to a deployment bag for recreational CRW and I don't miss the tail pocket one bit. The openings are quite a bit smoother (not necessarily soft), especially when you get a pilot who insists on flying a fast jumprun. The mesh slider, however, is basically required. A sail slider will cost a surprising amount of performance relative to the formation, and the noise of it flapping can make it tough to hear commands.

Don't forget the little sewn fold on the leading edge of the slider. I think that's still an aftermarket thing but sewing a fold on the leading edge keeps the front table from buzzing.

I realize you're responding to a couple of people but on a retractable PC that kill cone helps destroy a lot of parasitic drag. On smaller Lightnings it's enough drag to actually pull the rings back together, something you don't want during a landing in turbulence. CRW toggles are very very very helpful.