shibu

Getting started in CRW

I noticed Flight-1 is offering 2 new canopy courses focused on CRW: 201a & 202a. Unfortunately there are no listed upcoming courses this year. [:/]
I emailed them & they told me they would let me know about any upcoming courses.

Are there any other canopy courses in the North Eastern US that focus on CRW?

Flight-1 Course descriptions:
"Flying Relative" (201A)
is the first step in the Flight-1 Air to Air Program. After a comprehensive brief on canopy collision avoidance and survival, the student is introduced to flying relative to another canopy. Here the pilot learns the true reference of how the controls effect the system relative to another. The "wind tunnel" for canopy pilots.

"Team Flying" (202A) leads the student into dynamic team flying and landings. It builds on relative flying, teaching the student advanced dynamic formation flying, turns and landings. The "ultimate wind tunnel" for canopies.

Ask them how you can get them to come to your dz. If you can get enough people together im sure you can make it happen. Money talks. Or you can try to talk to people and ask who is the right person to talk to. If you want to take a crew course then they must have some dogs there you can talk to.

Are these crw courses or ones like for 'team swooping' or proximity flying with other canopies. Since it never actually uses words like docking or anything else I'm not sure it is.

I know I see posts on the crw dogs email list ( go to groups.google.com and subscribe to crwdogs) from people doing crw up at CPI ( can't say I know exactly where that is other than in the northeast). I know there are some folks doing crw in Virginia as well.

ridebmxbikes

Ask them how you can get them to come to your dz. If you can get enough people together im sure you can make it happen. Money talks. Or you can try to talk to people and ask who is the right person to talk to. If you want to take a crew course then they must have some dogs there you can talk to.

Thanks. I will do that.

faulknerwn

Are these crw courses or ones like for 'team swooping' or proximity flying with other canopies. Since it never actually uses words like docking or anything else I'm not sure it is.

I will ask them to be sure but even a class on proximity flying with other canopies must offer some skills that would be useful for someone looking to do CRW, right?

I know I see posts on the crw dogs email list ( go to groups.google.com and subscribe to crwdogs) from people doing crw up at CPI ( can't say I know exactly where that is other than in the northeast). I know there are some folks doing crw in Virginia as well.

Thanks. I just subscribed to crwdogs.

CPI in CT is definitely close enough. Thanks. B|

faulknerwn

I spoke to a couple of people at flight-1 and it looks like these courses are more proximity flying with other canopies rather than actually CRW. However, they did say that you will be taught many skills that would be useful in CRW right up to (but not including) the actual dock so I still think it would be a great place to start for those of us new to the discipline.

"However, they did say that you will be taught many skills that would be useful in CRW right up to (but not including) the actual dock."

Sounds like a GREAT way to separate you from your $$$ with little benefit.

Much better to spend the time / money going to a CReW camp somewhere.