WickedWingsuits

PD Storm Freepack experience

Interested to hear from folks that regularly jump a free packed PD Storm, both TF and TC versions.

- Did you add a tail pocket or any other mod?
- How are the openings?
- Any cautions?

Simon
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

We use TC 120s at about a 1.8:1 wing loading for 2-way. We found the canopy to be too snivelly for our purposes with the mesh slider so we switched to a spider slider. It speeds up the openings, helps a bit with heading, and once under canopy reduces noise and vibration while also helping with upwards visibility.

Do you plan on deploying at terminal? We normally only do about a 3 second delay and have never gone past 5 seconds.

indyz

We use TC 120s at about a 1.8:1 wing loading for 2-way. We found the canopy to be too snivelly for our purposes with the mesh slider so we switched to a spider slider. It speeds up the openings, helps a bit with heading, and once under canopy reduces noise and vibration while also helping with upwards visibility.

Do you plan on deploying at terminal? We normally only do about a 3 second delay and have never gone past 5 seconds.

Appreciate the reply.

It is for "wingsuit terminal" which is more like an aircraft exit speed, more forward speed than down. I have experience with large F111 canopies and an old Triathlon at these speeds but not a brand new ZP 150 Storm!

I like the slider info as I am looking for heading performance.

Does the TC come with a tail pocket? I was going to add a ZP tail pocket so that I can still bag it when needed.

I can't imagine that the trim difference between a TC and TF would make a huge difference, or would it? I do have dacron.

The TCs come stock with a tail pocket, dacron lines, and pilot chute retract system. I can't speak to the qualities of the freefall Storm or the differences between versions, I only have one jump on a TF 135 and that was years ago.

I have the regular Storm with Casual CRW Kit. It has dacron lines, continuous center A lines, and three ring retractable bridle system on the top, but no tailpocket.

I was confused about what was the point of a 3 ring retractable bridle without a tailpocket. I asked PD and they said:

PD

What you need is a non-collapsible pilot chute and a deployment bag with a number 8 grommet in it. When you deploy the bag travels up the bridle and the number 8 grommet chokes off the pilot chute when the bridle is retracted within the 3 rings.

Anyone have experience with that setup? Simon, would love to hear if you have any success installing a tailpocket.
BASEline - Wingsuit Flight Computer

platypii

I have the regular Storm with Casual CRW Kit. It has dacron lines, continuous center A lines, and three ring retractable bridle system on the top, but no tailpocket.

I was confused about what was the point of a 3 ring retractable bridle without a tailpocket. I asked PD and they said:

***What you need is a non-collapsible pilot chute and a deployment bag with a number 8 grommet in it. When you deploy the bag travels up the bridle and the number 8 grommet chokes off the pilot chute when the bridle is retracted within the 3 rings.

Anyone have experience with that setup? Simon, would love to hear if you have any success installing a tailpocket.

Yes. You still pack the canopy like a free pack. Only after rolling you stuff it in the dbag and stow the lines in the elastics. The #8 grommet on the dbag will slide down over the PC on deployment and act like a kill cone. You'll also need a properly sized length of Dacron to use as a bridle. You can bar tack in a nub to catch a curved pin. Another option is mounting a straight pin on a second, shorter length of Dacron so that you pull the pin when you deploy the pilot chute.

I got a ZP tail pocket put on my Storm 150 and did a handful of wingsuit jumps on it. Performed as expected and I can walk today, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

Thanks for input.

Simon

I will let you know if the velcro or ZP wears out first.

It isn't a full time setup, just something for specific occasions so I am not too worried about that side of it.

WickedWingsuits

I will let you know if the velcro or ZP wears out first.

It isn't a full time setup, just something for specific occasions so I am not too worried about that side of it.

tail pocket velcro lasts 100-200 jumps on my base rig on average before the lines start dumping and need replacement just for reference
BASE 1519