spinglebout

Canopy Categories

Hi everybody!

Could someone please help me categorize canopies from Performance Designs as well as Incarus Canopies in terms of skill level?

For example,
Could I have one example of a Student level canopy each from PD and Icarus. Same for a Tandem, High performance canopy etc?

Please feel free to provide your own suggestions for categories. If it's a subjective matter, your personal opinion on the ideal canopy for the particular skill level is fine too

I'm doing this for a project as a basic comparative analysis. :)
Thanks!

Have a look at the Dutch canopy regulations, we've put a lot of sports canopies (ie, not tandem) in categories already.
http://www.parachute.nl/fileadmin/knvvlpa_upload/pdf/BVR_bijlage_B_versie_2013_april.pdf
this list the type of canopy you are allowed to jump, in each category.
The categories are as follows, incuding my own labels for each category:
I : less than 25 jumps, wingload max 1,1; minimum size 170 sqft (student)
II : 25 - 100 jumps, at least 10 jumps in the last 12 months, wingload max 1,1; minimum size 170 sqft (beginner)
III : 100 - 400 jumps; at least 25 jumps in the last 12 months, wingload max 1,3; minimum size 150 sqft (intermediate/beginner)
IV : 400 - 700 jumps; at least 50 jumps in the last 12 months, wingload max 1,5; minimum size 135 sqft (intermediate/advanced)
V : 700 - 1000 jumps; at least 100 jumps in the last 12 months, wingload max 1,7, minimum size 120 sqft (advanced)
VI : more than 1000 jumps, no limits (expert)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

PD and Incarus both do this for you. See their websites...

PD example...

Stiletto
At the time of its release the fully elliptical nine cell Stiletto was initially seen as the highest performance canopy available to the expert pilot. With the improvements in canopy control technique over the years, the Stiletto has now become a very popular choice for many experienced jumpers. For those who appreciate responsive handling, snappy turns, flat glide, and great landing capabilities, the Stiletto is a fun and practical way to end your skydive. Stiletto: Flown by more national and world champions than any other canopy in the world.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Andy9o8

Why only Icarus and PD? For example, Aerodyne, etc. (such as the Pilot, an excellent canopy)...

One is the biggest manufacturer, the other is the best! ;)

Others include: Flight Concepts, Parachutes de France, PISA, and many others.

Jump more, post less!

spinglebout

Hi everybody!

Could someone please help me categorize canopies from Performance Designs as well as Incarus Canopies in terms of skill level?

For example,
Could I have one example of a Student level canopy each from PD and Icarus. Same for a Tandem, High performance canopy etc?

Please feel free to provide your own suggestions for categories. If it's a subjective matter, your personal opinion on the ideal canopy for the particular skill level is fine too

I'm doing this for a project as a basic comparative analysis. :)
Thanks!

For other posters I believe the OP is a non-skydiver who is doing a project on ram-air canopies (correct me if I am wrong).

Spinglebout- the categorisation of canopies is dependant on not just the design of the canopy but also the size of the person jumping them, altitude of DZ etc etc.

Below I have given you an approximation of examples of each category you have asked for, with a wingloading in pounds per square foot, this is just my opinion and others may disagree

PD:

Student: Navigator, Sabre II, Pulse, Silhouette, Spectre. Wing loading < 0.8 lb/ sq. ft.

Intermediate: As above. Wing loading 0.8-1.2 lb/ sq. ft.

High performance: Above canopies wing loading > 1.2 lb/sq. ft, or Katana, Velocity, Stiletto etc

Icarus/Daedalus/NZ Aerosports:

Student: Safire II. Wing loading < 0.8 lb/ sq. ft.

Intermediate: Safire II. Wing loading 0.8-1.2 lb/ sq. ft.

High performance: Safire II, Crossfire II, VX, FX, JVX, JFX, JPX. Wing loading > 1.2 lb/sq. ft.

As I said before this is just my opinion, and is making assumptions on the definition of each category. It is hard to classify canopies into such broad categories; for example, although both a Safire II loaded at 1.4 lb/sq. ft, and a Comp. Velo loaded at 2.8 lb/sq. ft could be considered high performance canopies, their performance and handling is going to be vastly different.

Below is a link to an article on wing loading which you may find useful:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/wingload.pdf

Hope this is of some help.

Also- "The Parachute and its Pilot" by Brian Germain may be of use to you.