parachutist

Anybody tried protecting the Lightning top skin this way?

So I have this new Lightning with 0 holes in the top skin, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible (Like everyone else, I know).

I was thinking: Spectra bridles don't burn the top skin, but they are too thin to protect any CRW dogs who might get wrapped in them. So what about running the 900 lb Dacron bridle up through a piece of 725 Spectra, in attempt to get the best of both worlds?

[inline lightning_bridle_dacron_spectra.jpg]

Figured I'd ask if anyone's tried it before I jump in... Maybe somebody else tested this idea out already. Any results?

blue skies,
Chris

I think a lot of the holes in the top skin are from poor packing techniques. But many do come from the pin slapping the top skin as the bridle retracts, as well as the old line slap/pinch. Not sure this will prevent either of those from damaging the top skin as the slicker Spectra will allow the bridle to move faster which may make the bridle/pilotchute/pin whip against the top skin more.

I say try it and see what happens!

Jump more, post less!

I took the dacron up to the pin pull point (and finger trapped a small loop at the end

) and then put spectra the rest of the way - has worked for me for 100's and 100's of jumps.

Seven Hills Skydivers of Madison, WI

bfelt

I took the dacron up to the pin pull point (and finger trapped a small loop at the end

) and then put spectra the rest of the way - has worked for me for 100's and 100's of jumps.

That's good to hear, Bob. I did similar last night: left red dacron exposed up to the pin-pull area, then covered the rest of the dacron with spectra, all the way to the PC.

I don't think I made a lot of jumps on the 143 that I had, but I didn't burn any holes in it. So, maybe the "bad packing" angle has credence to it. I always tried to make sure I packed mine neatly. Definitely a lot neater than the Triathlon 120 in my other rig! :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban