morris

Landing CF Storms

I was jumping a 97 when filming the Brit Rotations team at the Mondial in Dubai last year, loaded at about 2.15:1 :o. It may not have been a final production version (think it was labelled XC97). I did get stand up landings every time (although occasionally it would be a "foot slapper" with the canopy stalling behind me at the end of the flare). I was doing aggressive turns for landing to build up speed and flaring very finely (minimal travel in the breaks) because at that loading it was very sensitive. I was too scared to land it without building up any speed :P I'll see if I can dig out any useful footage of the landings.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

We had some 'interesting' landings on our team while getting used to our CF Storm 107's (loaded around 1.9), and getting out of the habits of 100's if not 1000's of nice friendly soft Lightning landings...

Here's the advice from Chris Gay that we found worked best for us... Start with a long gradual 90deg front riser carve to build up speed, smoothly come off the risers to keep the speed up, wait a second for the canopy to recover then give the toggles a distinct sharp 'pop' to half flare (ie level out but not stop or stall - practice up high to find the sweet spot), hold level while the canopy gradually slows down and then finish the flare trying to keep the canopy above you and not collapsing behind.

When you start doing this you'll need a while to dial in, we found that we had to gradually lower our first flare motion as we got so much power out of it we kept ending up too high - although probably better to start a bit high and work down rather than the other way round... Also be prepared to wait a lot longer than a Lightning for the canopy to slow down (let it fly if it wants to, don't try to make it stop too soon), and wear smooth soled shoes!

Hope that helps...

Martin