1 1
StumpJump

Container choices

Hey there,

I'd like to get into CReW this year, but I have a container concern. I have a Reflex with a pop top reserve. I've noticed that from time to time on landing I would get a line from my canopy caught under the reserve pilot chute.
With my last repack this didn't seem to happen, since the rigger got the pop top snuggled down extra firm.
Anyway, what's your experience. Is it safe to CReW with a pop top?

Andy
http://AmpedSkydiving.com/
https://www.facebook.com/AmpedSkydiving
"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else."

There was a team person who said if your "top" was properly snug down you can take a line and run across the back of you rig and NOT snag the top. If it snags it is to loose/high.
I'm sure hope they confirm what I'm saying to confirm I said it correct.
I jump a non-pop top, less worry.
Have fun and be safe!

Lots of reflexes - they used to call them c-flexes - with flaps on the top and bottom covering the pop top which prevents line snag.

That being said - I have about 2500 CRW jumps on my racers and have never had a single snag problem. ( tho I must say that I snag lines far more on it after landing than ever ever in the air!)

IJskonijn

I've got a little flap on and over the bottom of my reserve flap (on a Vector 2 rig) that's precisely meant to prevent any lines from snagging on it during CRW. It works perfectly, and shouldn't be hard to install for your rigger.

Ditto on my CRW rig. Exact same thing. I can take a pic and post it if that helps.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This will help you. It only shows how to build the flap at the top. I have a Reflex here that has a similar flap at the bottom as well. I've attached a pic of that as well.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.