ksudiver87

CReW Book

As far as I know that is the only version. The info on gear is obviously pretty dated, but the basic techniques for vertical formations (stacks and planes) described haven't changed much. Do you want this to teach yourself CRW?

I checked the links on the reading info underthis forum and half the links did not work for me sadly. And yep, I want it to teach my self crew, just like swooping all you do is grab that front riser and pull right? ;) no, i'm just constantly bored at work and its better than reading a romance novel :)

~Always do stupid things safely~

Not sure if seriously want to go for CRW or just joking.... I'll assume the first, with a little dash of the second.

In that case:
Always good to see someone wanting to try out CRW. However, I strongly doubt it can be done by yourself. If you want to learn it together with a buddy (neither of you experienced), my advice would be to start slowly, make sure you have similar canopies/wingloads and fly proximity to each other. However, since a lot can go wrong when doing CRW docks, I'd rather suggest to get some coaching. It'll cost more, but you learn MUCH more than spending the same money on jumps without a coach.

Mind you, I'm a CRW-puppy (at around 20 CRW jumps, most with a coach), so people like (for example) CaTo are much better qualified to give advice =)

I only do crw a few times a year with one person that i trust and is very well versed and trusting enough to let me fly with him. this is why i like to read up on EP ect so i can ask well informed questions when its time to apply them. And for the record, if you are dedicated, you can do crw by yourself...just pull both handles:ph34r:

~Always do stupid things safely~

For how old it the book is, its actually pretty good, although the techniques for higher level CRW have progressed, i.e. competition/world record stuff. I read it years ago when I was teaching myself to do CRW (in the days of 1:1 F-111 canopies). You should stick to your friend who has CRW experience (CRW under ZP canopies, even those designed specifically for CRW, is much faster than the F-111 canopies - and much more unforgiving). If you're really into CRW, I'd suggest contacting Wendy (the moderator) to get on the CRW Dog e-mail list to find out where the Dogs are getting together to jump (and who's running CRW beginner camps). Dogs are very welcoming to Pups, so don't be shy.

Grab some nylon!

I'd suggest contacting the CRW dogs or attending a CRW camp and learning modern techniques using modern gear.
(I know Elsinore and Sebastian have active CRW communities and that may be a good place to consider visiting for a weekend)

The book is very dated and techniques and knowledge have moved on considerably since then.

You'll get coaching, and learn quicker and in a safer environment. I would say learning CRW from a book is not the best of decisions.

Does anyone know of a newer version of this book? And if you have this book do you recommend it? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0960781447/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

amazon advert says 1 new from $460!!!!!
Terry P would be stoked!!!!!!

Terry Parsons is / was an interesting guy.
He was the formative member of Wrapture, our speed 8 team in the early 80s.
We thought we were hot shit when we were finally able to reliably make sub 50 sec octaplanes (only vertical formations back then) on our Pegasi.
Everyone jumped a Pegasus 220. Body weights ranged from 250+ to my 140.

Terry taught Philosophy @ UC Irvine when he wasn't skydiving and was more thoughtful than most.

We kept trying to build a 6 way side-by-side (circle) but the forces involved in anything bigger than four canopies proved to be unmanageable even when using death-straps.

beers to ya Terry.

Craig