h83

Frontstall on Velo

I hope you could help me to understand what happened to me yesterday.

A friend of mine (Velo 84, loaded WL 2:3) and I (Velo 96, WL 2:25) flew together at around 600 m above ground, we had a constant headwind at that time. He was to my right and a little bit above me. I went into my rears slightly to reduce the distance between him and my canopy. I am used to landing and flying with the rears and felt really comfortable. The upper flyer had slight contact with my outer RIGHT 2 cells. Suddenly I had a frontstall at my LEFT side and almost half of the canopy went away and began spinning. I was able to get it back after 450 or so degrees, however, I was a little bit shocked.

We discussed this yesterday at our dz, however, we haven't found a reasonable explanation for the incident. Further, you if you loose on side of your canopy, you should bring your weight on the other side and help the canopy to reinlafte, however, there was now way to do so due to the G-forces....

Any idea what has happened?

Thanks for your help!

A friend of mine (Velo 84, loaded WL 2:3) and I (Velo 96, WL 2:25) flew together at around 600 m above ground, we had a constant headwind at that time.

I don't know what happened to you, but you might want to improve your safety margin. After all, shit happens. Getting wrapped up under velos at that altitude might not be a pleasant experience. :)

What you describe sounds a bit like a wing dock coming in with too much upward momentum. Can you describe the nature of the contact? What part of his body contacted what part (nose, top skin, lines, &c) of your outer cells? Were you still on rears and rising? Did your canopy turn left or right?

A friend of mine (Velo 84, loaded WL 2:3) and I (Velo 96, WL 2:25) flew together at around 600 m above ground, we had a constant headwind at that time.

I don't know what happened to you, but you might want to improve your safety margin. After all, shit happens. Getting wrapped up under velos at that altitude might not be a pleasant experience. :)

What you describe sounds a bit like a wing dock coming in with too much upward momentum. Can you describe the nature of the contact? What part of his body contacted what part (nose, top skin, lines, &c) of your outer cells? Were you still on rears and rising? Did your canopy turn left or right?

I was still on my rears, but with only a very little input. The other skydiver's lower leg had contact with my top skin, not to hard or to much either. After a second or so I had the problem on my left and the canopy turned left....

kinda like this but more aggresive??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtTrlRXA8Po

yep, kind of...
However, he was on my right and the left side went away. There were at least one and a half meters of good canopy between him and the problem...
I get it what caused the problem in the video but I still don't understand mine...
But it looked exactly the same way, much more aggresive of course...
Thanks for your help!