skyturtle

Technically not a crw question

But i thought this might be the best forum to ask.

I was wondering how BASE canopies/jumpers survive terminal openings when they're freepacked and yet CRW canopies can seriously hurt you at terminal? Is the nose on a BASE canopy not quite the same as a CRW one (although i would have thought it would be due to the desire for quick openings)? Or is it simply that BASE canopies tend to be mainly F111 and that reduces opening shock (?). (I have very little knowledge of CRW gear and even less of BASE set ups).

How come reserves dont have a "crw like" nose? As far as i know (which is very little) the only things done to make a reserve open fast is the slider and packing method. Incidently what does make a reserve open quickly?

Is there any way to freepack a crw canopy for terminal? (im talking short of modifying the canopy/sticking a bag on it etc.

I have a really basic knowledge of gear here but im interested in CRW and how the gear is different.

CRW canopies are not usually deployed at terminal. They are rigged and packed to open quickly.

You can pack them so they open on a particular heading to minimise opening separation....in competition it is important to get that first formation together in the minimum time possible.

A reserve is packed with the nose "open" to speed up the opening. Apart from that it is just another canopy, packed in a freebag.

If you want to take a CRW canopy to terminal, put it in a bag or put some sort of reefing system on it.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

How come reserves dont have a "crw like" nose? As far as i know (which is very little) the only things done to make a reserve open fast is the slider and packing method. Incidently what does make a reserve open quickly?

Not all reserves have openings in their sliders. And reserves aren't really packed much different than normal terminal mains, it's a PRO pack that looks a little different.

so excusing the slider a reserve is just a canopy designed so its fast opening and the nose isnt rolled in a slightly different PRO pack?

The nose is exposed to speed up the opening and reduce the chance of lineovers.

Some reserves were used as mains (and they all even had main canopy bridle attachment points).

Not sure what you've heard about the sliders, but most are pretty similar to main sliders, except most if not all the reserves I can remember off the top of my head had brass grommets instead of stainless and weren't collapsible. PD sliders have a hole in them, but many other manufacturers don't. Just another way to skin the cat.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was wondering how BASE canopies/jumpers survive terminal openings when they're freepacked and yet CRW canopies can seriously hurt you at terminal? Is the nose on a BASE canopy not quite the same as a CRW one (although i would have thought it would be due to the desire for quick openings)? Or is it simply that BASE canopies tend to be mainly F111 and that reduces opening shock (?).

The F111 vs ZP fabric have a lot to do with it. BASE sliders are typically fine hole mesh and most lightnings are the large hole so there is also a small difference there.

Is there any way to freepack a crw canopy for terminal? (im talking short of modifying the canopy/sticking a bag on it etc.

I used my Lightning for wingsuiting by putting a regular slider and d-bag on it. The openings were a little brisk but not uncomfortable by any means. Why do you need a CRW canopy for terminal?

The F111 vs ZP fabric have a lot to do with it. BASE sliders are typically fine hole mesh and most lightnings are the large hole so there is also a small difference there.

I use a large hole mesh slider on terminal BASE jumps.
I even expose the center of the nose just as on a slider off jump.

Or is it simply that BASE canopies tend to be mainly F111 and that reduces opening shock (?).

good question and this IS a good place to ask since there are significant similarities / skill sets that cross both BASE and CReW.

if excluding packing technique (including use / type of slider), differing canopy trim and "material" are the primary reasons affecting opening characteristics.

craig

I asked "Rusty Vest" this question, Can you take lightning to terminal with a d-bag and fabric slider(normal style). His response was he test jumped a lot for PD and it can be done BUT recommends DO NOT! It just beats your body up so much and is not worth it unless you are getting paid big bucks to do it.
I think the design to open fast and to reinflate fast would cause you to get beat up at terminal after a few times. That's not to mention the extreme wear and tear on the canopy as it's design was for sub-terminal openings. Not worth beating yourself up or the $2K canopy.
So even with a d-bag and normal slider it is NOT a good idea to deploy at terminal!