sebcat

Cross connectors

Hey Top, when did cross connectors fall out of favor? I understand why... I used them when CRW was young in the 70's but was away from the sport awhile in the 90's.

I returned to the sport in 2005 and they were no longer used. I know you've been CRW active all this time. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

Hey Top, when did cross connectors fall out of favor? I understand why... I used them when CRW was young in the 70's but was away from the sport awhile in the 90's.

I returned to the sport in 2005 and they were no longer used. I know you've been CRW active all this time. B|

There just aren't any competition formations that require them. Eight way is gone. Rotes you can't get your feet in and out of stirrups fast enough for rotes so no one uses them. Sequential hasn't had planed formations since the 80's. Two way is about kicking lines and pretending its a grip.

Big ways build diamonds mostly, maybe some other offset stuff, but not much is planed up.

That's really why I asked what someone was doing with them.... dile curiosity because they have been out of the norm for at least a decade. Maybe someone was gonna build a quadraplane diamond again!!

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

There just aren't any competition formations that require them. Eight way is gone. Rotes you can't get your feet in and out of stirrups fast enough for rotes so no one uses them. Sequential hasn't had planed formations since the 80's. Two way is about kicking lines and pretending its a grip.

Big ways build diamonds mostly, maybe some other offset stuff, but not much is planed up.

That's really why I asked what someone was doing with them.... dile curiosity because they have been out of the norm for at least a decade. Maybe someone was gonna build a quadraplane diamond again!!

Not everything is competition or big way. I haven't done either, but I've done around 200 CRW jumps; mostly demo jumps but also some casual CRW just for fun. All small groups, 2 to 4 ways.

How about a dragplane without cross connectors?
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

BrianM

***There just aren't any competition formations that require them. Eight way is gone. Rotes you can't get your feet in and out of stirrups fast enough for rotes so no one uses them. Sequential hasn't had planed formations since the 80's. Two way is about kicking lines and pretending its a grip.

Not everything is competition or big way. I haven't done either, but I've done around 200 CRW jumps; mostly demo jumps but also some casual CRW just for fun. All small groups, 2 to 4 ways.

How about a dragplane without cross connectors?

I didn't say everything was comp or bigway, those are just the two areas I see CF these days. Demos probably next. There is just very little recreational pick-up CF.

At our demos, we did all of our drag planes with stacked formations. Just easier to control the formation and less likely to be weird during the drag transition portion. Also, its easier to drop the bottom two into a downplane at some point if you are stacked.

I don't think I'm ever gonna ask a question in this arena again.

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

I don't think I'm ever gonna ask a question in this arena again.

Relax! I wasn't attacking you. I was simply relating my CRW experience, which didn't fit within the "state of the CRW world" you described. I asked about dragplanes because, while I couldn't think of how, I was curious if there was a way to do them without cross connectors. And from your response, I learned that there is! B| It didn't occur to me to do a dragplane while stacked, I've always done them while planed.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

As I've said before, I have cross connectors sewn in on my risers. Have had them since my current rig was bought and configured new in January 1998. I did a lot of recreational 2, 3, 4 planed formations with rotations with friends with similar canopies.

I haven't done any in a while, but they are still there if I want to do them again.

I like the idea of cross connectors sewn into the risers. Any CReW Dogs see any problems with that? Also interested in knowing what the demo guys are using. We used to connect our French links for temporary stirrups but since lots of folks are using Slinks, would you trust a Slink for a stirrup connection? I considered using mini carabiner clips as attachment points to the slinks do keep wear down but haven't actually done it yet. Thoughts?

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

Hi - I have sewn cross connectors in a loop on each side inside the top of the risers. No problems but always have a hook knife avail just in case...you could also use french links and then they are removable if you like. I would not use the slinks - leave those alone - they are for your lines and most times have a tack to keep the slink closed and in place.
Seven Hills Skydivers of Madison, WI