crotalus01

Any CRW coaching at Skyfest?

I will be at Skyfest for a few days and wondering if any CRW coaches will be there? I have done 2 CRW jumps now and want to keep trying it - have not gotten a dock yet - I am jumping a Safire 189 loaded about 1.3 or so...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I will be at Skyfest for a few days and wondering if any CRW coaches will be there? I have done 2 CRW jumps now and want to keep trying it - have not gotten a dock yet - I am jumping a Safire 189 loaded about 1.3 or so...

I'll jump with you, but I don't think I will be able to go to Skyfest. Where are you at currently? If you're willing to travel to Skydive Alabama in Cullman, I have a friend who's always looking to try and get a few people together for CRW.

Keep in mind, doing CRW with microlines is inherently dangerous and great care must be taken. The CRWDOGS who use Lightnings religiously will tell you to go to a CRW camp, borrow a Lightning and learn from experienced dogs. Of course, this is not always practical if you live far from where these camps usually take place.

I have never caused a wrap or been wrapped up, but I have been on jumps where wraps/entanglements happened within my groups. It gets hairy in a hurry!

I would start with simple two ways for several jumps if I jump with you just so you get a feel for how your canopy flies in relation to mine, and make any adjustments if needed (add weights, etc) to get the glide rates matched up, and then we can try a dock.

FWIW, I have over 200 crw jumps, maybe about 35 of them under a Lightning. I am not an expert, but I don't just jump into any crw without going over the safety rules and emergency situations first.

:)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Keep in mind, doing CRW with microlines is inherently dangerous and great care must be taken. The CRWDOGS who use Lightnings religiously will tell you to go to a CRW camp, borrow a Lightning and learn from experienced dogs. Of course, this is not always practical if you live far from where these camps usually take place.

Attending a CRW camp is definitely worth it though. If they where held in space I would be on the next shuttle :)
Getting the proper equipment is also worth the time and money it takes. It's not just about avoiding micro line cuts. People have died getting entangled in bridles e.g. It's an unnecessary risk IMHO.

Getting the proper equipment is also worth the time and money it takes. It's not just about avoiding micro line cuts. People have died getting entangled in bridles e.g. It's an unnecessary risk IMHO.

Not arguing with you on that. Over 100 of my CRW jumps were with close friends doing 4 stack rotations on regular Triathlons with the non-cascaded line sets. Never had a wrap. Not to say it couldn't have happened. We know the risk is still there. People still get killed while jumping Lightnings as well.

When in doubt, go the crw camp route and use the right gear. But, nothing wrong with finding someone locally who has the experience and skill to show how to do it without Lightnings, even though they may still swap out canopies for compatibility reasons, I.E. a 7 cell instead of 9 cell, etc.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Mate,
Just remember theres no rush at all....CRW will always be there, dont go and die because you f*ck up on the basics. Not good for you and not good for CRW in general.

CRW can be safe and fun but can also go seriously wrong and just because you have or havent been in a wrap doesnt make you a better/worse jumper you gain knowledge from every jump.

you should def go and use the right equipment and im sure all CRW dawgs on here will say the same also get some decent coaching. but by the sounds of the post you are going to jump anyway fair one its your shout....plus i would be a hypocrite if i wrote an essay on why you shouldnt do it.

Im sure you are going to attempt CRW without the right canopies anyway if you do, try and get the risk down slightly use the same canopies, same wingloadings and be careful!

(this i know isnt the right answer i should be giving however like i said before they seem like they are going to jump anyway so this might help them out)

Dont Die!

Jamie Flynn
PH36 Canopy Formation Team
www.flyaerodyne.com
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

Thanks Billy, we have met you probably dont remember, about 4 or so years ago at WTS (my home DZ). Not sure if I can get to Culman anytime soon as I am using most of my vacation and $$$ to go to a few days of Skyfest.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Thanks Billy, we have met you probably dont remember, about 4 or so years ago at WTS (my home DZ). Not sure if I can get to Culman anytime soon as I am using most of my vacation and $$$ to go to a few days of Skyfest.

No problem, have a great time then. There is a chance that I may be able to get away from home for a few hours and just hang out with friends, but no jumps. The sky is always there, so someday.... :)