crotalus01

Closing the last 15 feet?

Finally attempted my first CRW jump today. 3 way, I was going to dock last on the 2 stack. Problem was, I was level and closing, but a bit too high - I would have hit around the head rather than the back/leg area of the bottom jumper. When I tried to sashay a bit using rear risers the stack got too far in ront of me to catch up to without front risering - and from there it became a circular problem. Spiral, on level but too high, sashay to bleed altitude, stack gets away, repeat :S

I am well aware it was my first attempt and more jumps will likely fix the issue but in my down time wanting some input from you guys.
Info - I was jumping a Safire 189 loaded at 1.3ish, one jumper was on a Sabre 170 loaded at 1.3ish, the other was on a Spectre 190 loaded at 1.3ish.

YES I am aware (and discussed at length) of the issues using microlines/9 cells/ non retractable PCS. CRW is almost never done at my DZ so I am trying to learn with what is available to me which would be mostly 9 cells with microline.
At least we had one jumper that was 7 cell dacron :P

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

If this was your first CRW jump maybe you should stop and find someone who knows what there doing as you and your friends obviously dont.....

-never spiral
-sashay with toggles is easier and works better
-your never front riser it all the way unless you Hercules or me ;-) haha

Get the right equipment funny enough its designed to save lives, all canopies fly different....also get coaching off someone who actually knows what knows what there doing.

Its irrelevant if the wing loading at this stage of the game, if it is the same or not your all flying different canopies.....different trim,characteristics etc.....

Im all up for doing dangerous stuff, i love pushing things to the edge but these things have been done before and have gone really bad learn from other peoples mistakes. people have died doing crazy shit.

if you want some sound advice where to get proper kit, coaching etc.... contact me on facebook search for PH36 canopy formation team and we can have a chat and we can point you in the right direction, if i dont know the answer i sure know someone that does.

more jumps will help your right but on the right kit!

Dont DIE!

Jamie Flynn
PH36 Canopy Formation Team
www.flyaerodyne.com
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

Problem was, I was level and closing, but a bit too high - I would have hit around the head rather than the back/leg area of the bottom jumper.

I just want to say that this isn't normally a problem. Just make sure he gets big and grab your lines. Also, don't hit fast.

Your choice of equipment worries me. Stay safe.

edited to add: The person you're docking on is the one that should grab your lines, just to clarify :)

You could have used light front riser input to close the gap. If I'm high on a stack formation, I almost always use front risers to dock (of course I have lots more CRW jumps). Get directly behind the formation and apply front riser input as needed to dock. Your canopy should hit anywhere from directly below his/her canopy to his/her legs. It's also better to hit the target with some downward momentum instead of upwards. High speed and lots of upward momentum is wrap potential. Always dock straight on.

I too learned CRW by doing it with equally inexperienced Dogs, but you'll learn LOTS more if you find an experienced Dog.

I was in the same boat as you learning how to do CRW jumps with all the wrong equipment. I took a CRW class and then bought a lightning and have learned more in 50 coached jumps then I ever did just messing around learning on my own. If you were above the stack then it sounds as if you were in the right place to dock on the formation. So using the front risers would have helped you sink into your slot and be able to pin your target. Ideally you want your canopy topskin to pin your target right on the reserve, then the lower skin should be at your targets waist and lines right at their feet. Something else to think about is a stack is an inefficient formation that will lose altitude quickly without much forward drive. Keep this in mind when you are setting up to fly your approach. While the other two canopies take thier dock you should stay about equal with the bottom person then when they dock you will see them sink out on you. At this point you will now use the front risers to fly into your slot. This is something that is practiced at a begginer CRW camp and also how to use all the controls on your canopy. You may already know how to use front and rear risers, harness input, toggle turns and a combination of cross controls, but you don't know how and when to use them for CRW. A CRW class will teach you when to use each control depending on where you are and how to join formations. CRW is a great sport and can be taught in a safe manner that you can then go back to your 9 cell and really have some great knowledge. Try to find a CRW dog to teach some techniques or take a CRW camp and have fun.