GLIDEANGLE

Demise of the 4-stack award patch?

Dear USA CreW community:

I got an interesting letter from USPA today. I HOLD NO ANIMOSITY TOWARD USPA OVER THIS LETTER. I am concerned, however, by what this letter implies about the perception of the lack of vigor of the CReW community. The letter follows:

“Dear James,

Thank you for placing an order for the 4-stack patch. Unfortunately, the 4 stack patches are no longer available. I have enclosed the 2 decals and certificate and 2 additional decals your ordered. If you choose to continue on and do an 8-stack, or even a night 4-stack, we do have patches available for purchase in those catergories. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions or concerns.

Thank you and safe blue skies,

Susan Sullivan
Member Service Center Coordinator”

This is sad for me as I enjoy collecting what my wife calls “skydiving merit badges”. I was looking forward to putting that patch on my gear bag along with my SCR, SCS, & NSCR.

I infer from this letter that USPA has made a business decision to make no more 4-stack patches because they have sold so poorly that making more is a poor business decision.

What does this say about the CReW community in the US?
• Is this a true reflection of the vigor of the CReW community?
• Is this simply a reflection of folks no longer wanting “merit badges”?
• Have I lost what little mind I used to have and am I making a tempest out of a teapot?

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

• Have I lost what little mind I used to have and am I making a tempest out of a teapot?

I don't think you are over-reacting. I was pleased to receive my 4-stack patch. My first 4-stack just happened to be at night (2:00am) and I submitted the paperwork for the 4-stack award and also the nite 4-stack award. After I received the patches & stickers in the mail did I look closely at the paperwork and read the line that said you can not apply for the 4-stack and nite 4-stack awards for the same jump. I am happy the folks at headquarters decided to send both awards to me anyway.

I have no idea how much it costs to make a run of, say, 30 patches. If they're not so popular they will just sit on the shelf until they do sell out. If I read between the lines of USPA's letter I'm afraid they are saying the other patches will not be available either after they run out of them.

Or it may just be that they have to order a certain minimum number of patches and since they have plenty of the others they can't economically order just what they have run out of.

I don't get to do CRW much anymore but I enjoyed my time in that activity.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

James-

As an avid crw-dog and competitor in the discipline for over twenty years, I too am saddened by the loss of the four stack patch. But to answer your questions:

1) It says there are not enough of us requesting patches that it is worth it to USPA to keep them in stock
2) Yes. Sorry. Look at the number of teams competing at the nationals over the last few years.
3) Don't know. You obviously wanted one, others must too.
4) Eh, if it's the battle you want to fight, then have at it.

Maybe you could get them made and take over selling them to people that earn them.

Also, if youwant it and I can find mine, I'll send it to you!

Jump more, post less!

I was a bit short on cash and didnt order mine a year ago, I guess now it is too late.

BTW USPA had a budget surplus for the last year, I am sure they can afford to spend a few hundred bucks on a patch order.
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

A while back USPA had falcon and eagle and double eagle for RW and a 3D award for Free flying. (maybe more) And of course the CRW awards. When USPA announced that they were canceling the awards everyone in CRW was "give it to us we'll take over the program and keep crw awards going". There was a back and forth and USPA ended up keeping the awards going for CRW. Just because stickers and patches aren't available doesn't mean that the program is done it just means that you can't buy a patch or a sticker. They don't and have never, from what I know, given them away like they do 12 hour badges and 1,000 jump wings.

Remember this- you got in on a 4 stack and if you keep going probably bigger. No one will ever be able to take that away from you. Even if you can't show it off on your jump suit or gear bag. You still have the certificate and can keep that in your log book to show other jumpers.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker