FreeFlyer2100

Just did my first downplane

This was my third attempt to do a downplane and it actually worked!! Did a hop and pop out of the cessna at 5K had the stack by 4K, started the downplane at 3500 and took it down to about 2200! At about 1800 I pinned Damien again and he flew the stack into the pattern and broke apart at about 75 feet to a stand up landing. Hopefully this will be the first of many many downplanes and other parabatics. Thanks again Damien!!

Congratulations. But, have you read the SIM?

7. Breakoff and landing procedures:

a. Approaches and docking should stop no lower than 2,500 feet AGL.

b. Formation pilots should avoid all obstacles, including suspected areas of thermal activity, such as paved surfaces, plowed fields, buildings, etc.

c. The landing of canopy formations should be attempted by only those with a high level of CRW proficiency.

d. Breakoff for landing should take place no lower than 2,500 feet AGL, because of the danger of entanglement at breakoff time.

e. Jumpers should not attempt to land formations in high or gusty winds, high density altitudes, or high field elevations.

f. CRW groups landing off the airport should try to land together.

It is very dangerous to do CReW too low. I'm not the self appointed Safety Nazi, but I did learn this the hard way. Hopefully, you can learn from our (old farts) mistakes. [:/] It almost cost me my life. Don't make the same mistake I did almost 30 years ago...

B| With all that being said, CREW Skies Dude!!!

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Re: "Approaches and docking should stop no lower than 2,500 feet AGL."

I'm guily of bending this rule recently myself. If I may ask what did you almost learn the hard way?

I was given the opportunity to ride a streamer in from 500ft.... Long story short, we were landing a two stack and shit happened (as it always does). I am very lucky to be writing this post. So, no lectures from me, just a stern warning! I'm one of the many reasons the BSR's cover this.

CRW is cool as hell. Just do it high enough to have time to recover from the shit storm...

To the original OP... did you have retractable PC's? What canopy's? and again, Congratulations Dude!!B|

This jump was done with 2 Lightning 143s with retractable PCs and kill cones. The top docker who steered the stack into the pattern would be considered very CRW qualified numerous big ways, national medal winner in CRW, and part of the 100 way record. I appreciate everyone copying and pasting the regs from the SIM which leads to this question: Is there another reg in the SIM that gets broken more than this one? I ask because I have been to many drop zones and seen stacks flown into the pattern and break apart before landing many many times.

Nice job! First a reply to the one before this, how do you know its 1.4 wl he didnt say how much he weighs? He said 143 lightning, thats all I see, you have other info.? OR did you profile him and figured it out that way (LOL). Second, I would like to know where you seen other crw as I have been looking for others to jump with! Be slow and careful, lets you live longer and have more fun.

Normal CRW wing load would be somewhere around 1.3 to 1.4 giver or take. An experienced Dog might lighten it up a bit to accommodate a Pup.

FreeFlyer2100... Don't get me wrong, down planes are a blast. It sounds like you've found a great mentor and have the right equipment. Just be aware that when shit hits the proverbial fan, (and it will eventually) altitude is the only thing that can save your young behind. Don't be afraid to ask the CRW Dogs to do these maneuvers at higher altitudes. You can do down planes at 10,000 feet, break off and do it again.

As for docking low; it can be done safely! But again, when the shit flies, altitude is your best friend.

ScoobieDoo... There’s lots of good CReW Dogs around. Try the Wisconsin CReW Boogie at East Troy. PM Sabre1700 or Madison for details on the next training camp

Is there another reg in the SIM that gets broken more than this one? I ask because I have been to many drop zones and seen stacks flown into the pattern and break apart before landing many many times.

It's not a regulation or even a BSR. It's a recommendation intended for people with little CRW experience. My personal hard decks are 2,000 feet for "normal" 2-4 ways, and 3,000 feet for 4 way competition (if you get into competition, you'll see why). If I & a teammate are very current, I'll give and accept very gentle 2 way docks down to 1,000 feet. Even then, it's pushing the safety envelope.

It's not a regulation or even a BSR. It's a recommendation intended for people with little CRW experience.

You are correct sir! It's found in section 6.6 under General Recommendations. However, IMHO, it's meant for everyone!

Although I always stress this to students, (to keep “the Safety Nazi” from demanding I turn in my ratings again) I tend to agree with you that this is one recommendation we tend to ignore from time to time. I'm guilty of it myself even though it almost cost me my life once. Damn, I'm such a hypocrite!!;)
Here's some light reading...

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section6/tabid/169/Default.aspx#981

Happy Holidays!

YES, I did NOT read that BUT maybe it say docks should stop at 2500. once docked and w/o playing around you can land them?? again, I didnt read it but sounds like a uspa thing to do. Think about this, you should have a hard deck at 1800, that means once you hit that and have problems with your canopy you should have your plan of attack of cut it or not, but they allow "D" lic to pull at 2000. tell me your chute opens in 200 feet! not mine! thanks for that contact, I met Razz & April this fall and he is a great teacher, did some jumps and even got in on that Wis 25way record. I was hoping for more ppl in IL area, 2 hours drive one way is rough. in fact, thats Razz as pilot in the 25way formation pic

I jump at 2 drop zones, Chicagoland Skydive, Hinckley, IL. and Skydive Chicago, Ottawa, IL., I would perfer Hinckley for 3 reasons, Closer to me, Less air traffic in Summer as Skydive Chicago flies 2 otters with lots of jump traffic if you know what I mean and 3rd reason is Hinckley does NOT have a hungry river to take your cutaway!