Chrisky

Unrecognized packing method

Hi folks,

just two weeks ago i went out to Pitt Meadows, where this guy from the "yellow tin can" ;) team was having a fun weekend. Shame on me, forgot his name, but i'm new to the DZ and try to remember the staffs' names anyway.

But this guy did a pack job i didn't recognize, i had only see it once a loong time ago and thought it was Flatpack back then.

He laid the canopy out flat, folded the nose on top so the split a-lines were on top of each other. Then he grabbed the trailing edge andstarted lifting it up, kinda laying the steering lines on top of that fold.
He then somehow (sorry, couldn't watch it in one go, was packing myself) folded the cocoon really tight and slipped it into his POD easily.
When asked by other jumpers about that method, he said he never had any trouble with it, fine soft openings and had used that method for over fivehundred (or was it a thousand? don't quite remember).

He did it in a very fast fashion, but as he has thousands of jumps by profession, so there surely was a lot of routine involved.

It was no ordinary flatpack, and for sure no PRO or Psycho pack.

Anyone knows what he might have done?
Me clueless:S
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Sounds a bit like a flat Pro-Pack, where the kit is laid out on it's side as for a flat pack, and then stacked as per a pro pack...Ending up like:
<..>
<..>
<..>
<..>

as opposed to normal flat pack:
<..>
<_
_>
<_

If that makes any sense :)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Hmm, I'll have a little "think job" on that one...
The xplanation makes more sense to me than the schematic, but i'll see what my brain can do...
But from a gut feeling it makes sense.

Also kind of backs up my idea i figured out when i saw him packing.

Looked a whole lot easier (because he got the air out so easily) and was damn fast (no cramping to get the POD closed).

Do you know how to pack that way? I'd really like to give it a try. I'd prefer the Gourmet instructions with photos and all.B|;)

id feel scared packing like that cause when the packjob is over your shoulder you can look down inside it and try to make sure the lines arn't tangled, crossed over, etc. But what do I know! :D

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

It sounds like what is commonly referred to as a Pro-Stack. It does the same thing as packing over your shoulder, but you're doing it on the ground...it keeps the lines and folds cleaner and is actually quite fast when you get used to it. Kind of looks like a Flat-Pack but as you pull the sections over to you, you split them half-and-half so it ends up like a Pro-Pack on the ground.

Some guys pack for BASE this way (it's especially useful on larger canopies). I've been packing reserves this way for many years...over 1600 reserve packjobs this way, and it works just great!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Thanks, Dude!:)
Now this raelly starts making sense, it even looks like a "cleaner" pack job than the usual PRO-pack.
I guess once i'll have my new container, i'll do some "dry" pack drills to check if i get it right and then probably give it a try.B|

Find a BASE jumper and they will show you...it's a pro pack on the side...works beautifully...

It's also the way many riggers pack reserves. I've flat packed base canopies, but never used this 'on the ground pro pack', so I'm not quite sure how it goes....I'll have to experiment. Famous last words, eh? :S

Mike