ruthers

standard retracting pilot chute tangling a bit on lighting 143

Hi Everyone,

I jump a lightning 143 with non collapsing pc, the standard retracting (3 separate rings on the top skin) red cord bridle, tail pocket and mesh slider and have about 80 crw jumps of 270 total jumps. while packing I have noticed that the pc is often a bit tangled up on the bridle between the rings. I was previously advised that my bridle was a bit long and the pc was fluttering around on the top surface a bit, so I shortened it enough (about 15-20cm) for the pc to be pulled a little into the center ring of the retraction system. Before then, the tangling was a little worse.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the pc tangles, can they be ignored? So far they have not caused any problems, and I'm not too worried about it, but thought I might as well ask. The pc is sitting pretty much flat on the top surface and not inflated (I was jumping another canopy while a friend jumped the 143 yesterday, so I could get a look at it), but I suppose during sashays or other manouvres it might be getting more mobile.

Cheers,
Hamish

you can use a Kill cone: round piece of fabric with a grommet (nr 8) in the middle through which the pilot-chute will be (partly) pulled.
The key difference between pulling the PC through the bridle-ring and through the kill-cone ring is that the kill cone fabric will be pushed around the mesh part of the PC and stop it from inflating.

(sorry do not have a picture, that would make it more clear)
Caren

Yea mine tangles up to, it has never caused me any dramas, its caused by the pilot chute being inflated on top and bouncing around on top of the canopy. a kill cone is prob the best idea but if your like me and never get around to getting one made you will become a Jedi at untangling the bridle

Have fun
be safe
and Dont DIE!

Jamie
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

the smaller the canopy and at the same time higher wingload, the more you will have problems with a Pc that bounces of and on your canopy. First time I flew my new storm 107 (without kill-cone...) I thought it was really bumpy in the air and could not fly properly. Until I was pointed out that my pilot was bouncing and it was not bumpy at all. After the kill coe attached, no more bumpy rides, but smooth flying B|

Caren

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I forgot about kill cones, will get one made up.

Blue skies all,

Hamish

p.s. a bit of a crw gathering will be happening at the Full Moon Boogie at Nagambie (victoria, Australia) in late November in case anyone's heading to Oz a that time. Would be great to have some visitors! Summer is nearly here!

Don't worry about it. Just untangle as necessary.

You may want to rethink that Chuck.

The factory bridle length for Lightning 176s and smaller is 79". I jumped a stock L-126 and had the bridle/PC half-hitch around a teammate's left brake line during an octaplane 8-way speed team practice jump (similar to how bolas work). Another teammate noticed it before breakdown and it only resulted in one cutaway (me), but it could have been worse.

A kill cone helps keep the PC from bouncing around, but it also increases the total mass at the end of the bridle. That in turn increases the chance of an unintentional entanglement on an aggressive dock like I experienced. The way I solved both problems at once without a kill cone was to shorten the bridle until it pulled the PC mesh into the center retraction ring, but not so far as to prevent the canopy from fully inflating spanwise.

Of course, YMMV

Bob

Hi Bob,

I use a shortened bridle & a kill cone. The PC is pulled through the kill cone's grommet & into the center retracting ring. I also have to untangle the bridle quite frequently (as do my teammates). Since I generally see their bridles in formation & they're not tangled in the air, my suspicion is that the tangling happens during the landing flare & not during regular flight (not sure why or how it happens).

Chuck