NeverTooLow

Storm vs. StormCF

Hi
We are just planing to order a set of new CF canopies.
Canopies would be 135 and 150 sqft and should be used for terminals from time to time.
We already tested the standard Storm.

Has anyone tried both, standard and CF Storm?

What are the differences? I am mainly interested in flightcharacteristics, not in technical details (got that info from PD already: linetrim...)

Any arguments for or against one of them, standard Storm would be with CF options?

Thanx Roman

CF Storm has dacron lines, enforced nose (do not know if the normal storm has cascades) so packs a little bigger. Flight characteristics should be the same I guess.

Note that below 120 sq/ft CF storms are REAL competition CF canopies, the 120 and above are re-designed and have the nose-skin pulled over the nose (for better openings) This results in collapsing cells if you fly in front of it without directing re-inflating. So NOT good for doing competition CF

Since we ordered first the CF120, fly it and then decided to order the 107 to have the real CF characteristics, we now use the 120 for free-fall, and thus opening on terminal. NO PROBLEM. No bag, using the mesh slider (i.s.o. the spider we'd put on) Just do not pull out the nose during packing, and open stable :-)

hope this helps
Caren

Flight characteristics should be the same I guess.

Is the trim of the CF steeper?
If so, shouldn´t it be flying different?

amanda at pd told me that the cf storm is trimmed very differently and the two set ups fly very differently

I am sure others on this forum have much more experience in this matter, but I've demoed both and they are very different. Storm CF was very crisp and lots of fun to do Crew with. Regular Storm seemed to be much less responsive, with less flare.

My impressions, anyhow. I'm going for a Storm CF if the economy ever picks up.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

CF Storm has dacron lines, enforced nose (do not know if the normal storm has cascades) so packs a little bigger. Flight characteristics should be the same I guess.

Note that below 120 sq/ft CF storms are REAL competition CF canopies, the 120 and above are re-designed and have the nose-skin pulled over the nose (for better openings) This results in collapsing cells if you fly in front of it without directing re-inflating. So NOT good for doing competition CF

Since we ordered first the CF120, fly it and then decided to order the 107 to have the real CF characteristics, we now use the 120 for free-fall, and thus opening on terminal. NO PROBLEM. No bag, using the mesh slider (i.s.o. the spider we'd put on) Just do not pull out the nose during packing, and open stable :-)

hope this helps

There were some alterations made to the 135 and above of the CF Storm(TC) and regular Storm(TF) to make the canopy a bit more friendly during the terminal openings with a fabric slider. Trials of the larger sizes went very well for general use and in the CF community. Some may remember playing with them down in Lake Wales a few years ago. During the release of the CF Storm, PD (with the help of some of the first customers) discovered that there were some adjustments that could be made that would make those larger sizes better for "hard core" CF guys and gals. The changes were made to the CF Storm(TC) and the larger sizes bump and grind like the smaller ones do.
Flight characteristics on the website were updated as well.
Watch out for planters.

There were some alterations made to the 135 and above of the CF Storm(TC) and regular Storm(TF) to make the canopy a bit more friendly during the terminal openings with a fabric slider. Trials of the larger sizes went very well for general use and in the CF community. Some may remember playing with them down in Lake Wales a few years ago. During the release of the CF Storm, PD (with the help of some of the first customers) discovered that there were some adjustments that could be made that would make those larger sizes better for "hard core" CF guys and gals. The changes were made to the CF Storm(TC) and the larger sizes bump and grind like the smaller ones do.
Flight characteristics on the website were updated as well.

Hmm, last year, at the world championships, the overall message from ALL teams flying (or had flown) the 120 (USA, Egypt, Netherlands) were the same: NO good for competition CF . So either these alterations you mentioned have been made after september 2008, or our idea's of 'hard core CF' differ from what PD thinks it is......

CaTo (now happy flying a 107 CF storm and use the 120 CF-storm for FS.....)
Caren

So your impression is that only the 107's and smaller are real comp CF canopies?

yes, we think so (but hey, every person it's own thoughts)

How do they fly loaded at 2.2?

we fly them at WL 2.0 and have good experience, although landing is a challenge when you are used to lightnings. But once you get a grip on it, it can be done (but keep alert)
Caren