jamie_the_para

Lightnings at terminal

The advice on the label is dont take lightnings to terminal, there are quite alot of people that jump them at terminal, my question is has anyone jumped a lightning at terminal with a d bag (which i have done myself and know alot of people that do, but with a normal slider) but with a mesh slider?

Thanks

Jamie
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

Hi mate,

given a nominal 3 second delay, is there much difference between the normal sail slider and a mesh slider?

If not then try 5 seconds, then 7, then 9, then 12. If you get to 12 without pain then chances are you will be ok, but keep an eye on the lines and canopy during each pack job and do an honest line check on each deployment ;)

Regards
Andy

like i said, ive jumped lightnings before at terminal and ive even jumped my tail pocket just at the verge of terminal 9-10secs but am just curious if anyone has or does jump at terminal using a d bag and with a mesh slider.

yes there is a difference between using a normal slider and a mesh slider, as a mesh sliders speeds up openings at sub terminal

There is a LOT of difference between lightnings: do not take a ZP lightning to terminal but a F111 one with a slider and bag can be jumped ok.

my mates in the red devils and some people from my DZ jump their ZP canopies with normal sliders into a bag they roll the nose and do everything to slow the openings down, but im just curious if anyone has just given it ago....i dont know for a laugh or to see if they become infertile, cheap contraception eh? haha :D

Hi Jimbo,

yes there is a difference between using a normal slider and a mesh slider, as a mesh sliders speeds up openings at sub terminal

No shit? The exam question is, is it significantly quicker?

If not then crack on. If it is then proceed carefully or wuss out and get a sail slider like everyone else YA BIG GIRL ;)

Regards
Andy

Some of the larger demo canopys used by display teams, 200 +, are F-111 and designed for a little smokey R-dub followed by some CRW just above the crowd at airshows and demo events. Most lightings open real fast.

I have a lightning 143 mesh slider in a bag and was asked at one of the world record camps to take a seven second delay..... I was worried.

A few years ago someone was killed by a hard opening jumping a stiletto. I think she tore her aorta or something. I have also heard of someone who broke a femur on opening jumping a Sabre2.
Those parachutes were designed to be deployed at terminal.

However, your mileage may vary...
:|

Many of us have taken Lightnings to terminal with D-bags and mesh sliders during the CF records. 8 to 10 second delays were common.

I strongly recommend against this practice.

But if you must, be sure to roll and tuck the nose etc. and be in a good position (i.e. sitting up) just in case you do get kissed by the Goddess of Whack.
What could possibly go wrong?

I cracked a rib jumping my ZP Lightning at terminal. D-bag, regular slider, rolled the shit out of the nose. After that I always sat up ( not a recommended practice--you can fall out of your rig!). Recommended or not, it was the only way I could handle the slammer openings. After about 150 jumps I got a Spectre.
Whew!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

It can be done, but not recommended. Sometimes it's necessary. For those occasions, I relax completely after tossing the PC... shoulders, neck, back, & legs loose, chin already on my chest... staying level. If you fight it by tensing up it only makes things worse in my experience.

I've done 10-12 second delays using tail pocket & mesh slider. When the formation you want to dock on is 1,500 feet below you, sometimes you just have to deploy at terminal if you want to get there fast.