andyturner

How do the "Golden oldies" stack up against PD’s new CF-Storm?

Hi,

In the past, which is the…
1. Best “All rounder CRW canopy”, i.e. Sequential & Rotations
2. Best Sequential canopy?
3. Best Rotations canopy?
4. Most popular canopy?

That said, my main question is this: In terms of getting the job done and scoring points, how does the new Storm perform compared with the old favourites in terms of both Sequential & Rotations?

Thanks & best regards,
Andy

That is like asking which is the best swoop canopy: for distance, for accuracy, for speed?

You can look at the best sequential and rotations teams and their choice in a canopy is a small fraction of the equation that makes these teams special. Lots and lots of practice & experience might be a bigger contributor to them being best. I know thats not what you want to hear so here comes some hints.

The best rotations team at a world level were on triathalon 99s, I believe, and rumor has it that they are on storm 107s now.

The best competitive sequential teams ( smaller canopys) have used lightings, triathalons, expresses, storms recently a canopy based on a highly customized icarus FX.

Demonstration teams who dabble in a a little free fall RW and canopy displays ( larger canopys) for large crowds use larger F-111 lightnings, as in the leap frogs, and larger Triathalons as in the British and Canadian display teams.

Hi VectorBoy,

That is like asking which is the best swoop canopy: for distance, for accuracy, for speed?

My apologies, I probably wasn't very clear in the first post, which I can't edit now. I know what’s best for rotations isn’t best for sequential that’s why I'm after 3 or 4 canopy names.
A) Best All rounder for those that don't own several canopies!!!
B) Best Sequential and What makes a good Sequential canopy?
C) Best Rotations and What makes a good Rotations canopy?
D) Most Popular – This is actually a rubbish question because the answer will be the same as Best All rounder.

Lots and lots of practice & experience might be a bigger contributor to them being best.

Equipment choice is not the most important factor when planning for a successful team, but its a fairly important one and there is no excuse for not doing your home work!!!!

Thank you for the info on the various canopies.

Cheers & Best regards,
Andy

The Dutch teams that were on Triathlons are now on Storms, BTW.

we are on Storms, but were not on triathlons, but on lighnings :P

Caren how are you and your team finding the new Storm? Purely in terms of CRW, i.e. non of the other nice frilly stuff like nice flares and openings etc, in terms of a pure hardcore CRW canopy how is it compared to the Lightning?

Regards
Andy

Caren how are you and your team finding the new Storm? Purely in terms of CRW, i.e. non of the other nice frilly stuff like nice flares and openings etc, in terms of a pure hardcore CRW canopy how is it compared to the Lightning?

for competition: 200% better. We fly now 107, with high wingload (+2) and used to fly 143 lightning with wlngload 1.5.

Note that the CF Storm 120 and above are not competition CF canopies because PD pulled the topskin futher over the nose for smoother openings, which makes it less suitable for high-level CF (end-cells easily de-inflate, and do not automatically inflate when the airflow is resumed).
The 107 and 97 do not have this problem and fly just FANTASTIC (not talking about the landings though :S)
Caren

If you're talking teams and success, an average Lightning can get you to fourth place at a World Meet. It is the skill development and coaching that is crucial to this level.

If you want to get amongst the medals - the canopies and equipment becomes more important, but skills are still VIP.

e.g - A triathlon will give a rotations team an easy two points over Lightnings. Triathlons reward skill and punish lack of skill. This is my experience - others have different opinions of course.

Faster canopies will give you shorter times and bigger blowouts. Consistency is the key in CF / CRW. For example 6 second average rotations will give a team 16 points. If you do 5 secs and 8 secs, you are worse off.

In the end, Lightnings are good reliable all rounders and will get you to a high level.

Both Storms and Triathlons are better than lightnings for when you get closer to World Class. Which one is better, it depends on too many things.
- your technique
- your skills
- your team mates
- wing loading
- and lots of other things.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

All,

Thank you everyone, this post has been very insightful. My understanding now is that there are in fact 3 popular CRW canopies.

1. The Lightning is a good all rounder and particularly good for Sequential. It is softer and more forgiving then a Triathlon which also makes it a choice canopy for a newbie/wannabe.

2. The Triathlon is a cheeky little canopy, fly’s faster than the Lightning, is less forgiving, and has a penchant for Rotations!

3. As for PDs new CF-Storm. The 120 Canopies and above are bonk for competition CRW due to excess foreskin issues designed in because non CF jumpers want nice soft openings. Thanks PD – well done you geniuses! That said, Canopies below 120 are super fast and the cats whiskers for rotations.

In terms of CF I'm still at the crawling stage but at least now I have a heads up in terms of choice of canopy and suitability for different requirements.

Thank you everyone, best regards & safe jumping,
Andy
PS. I'm looking for a Lightning 176 - drop me a PM if you have one for sale!!!