Renegate

CF canopy at terminal

Is there a downside of using a ZP CF canopy (Dacron, tailpocket, etc) for terminal RW jumps, changing the slider of course?
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

Dacron & the tail pocket aren't what will slam you. It's the big open nose of a CRW canopy that will inflate much faster than a FF canopy. I've seen Lightnings taken to terminal without problems, but they were packed for a very slow opening (bury the nose). I've also packed a FF ZP canopy with a mesh slider like a reserve (exposing the nose) and deploying at sub-terminal. I won't do that again.B|

the downside is that it will open hard if you dont pack it right,

try:
-dbag
-sail slider (or velcro fabric onto your mesh)
-rubber band slider to center c-line (ask your base friends)
-roll nose a lot
-roll other parts too
-roll pack??

if base jumpers can go terminal with a freepack then there must be a way to make a lightning do it ok too.

the downside is that it will open hard if you dont pack it right,

if base jumpers can go terminal with a freepack then there must be a way to make a lightning do it ok too.

uhhhhhhhhhh the vast majority of "base jumpers" do NOT use canopies that are silicone calendared such that they are considered "fully ZP"

many modern BASE canopies ARE partial "ZP".

this should be considered when comparing canopy opening characterstics.

be safe

kleggo

Are you talking Lightning? They are not called Lightning for no reason. I put about 100 terminal jumps on my Lightning (rolled the snot out of the nose) and it still opened so hard that jumpers would run out of the hanger when they heard me open.
I do not recommend taking a Lightning to terminal unless you are very good at sitting up on deployment.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

terminal deployments are NOT RECOMMENDED on all zero P Lightings
From the PD website

Storms are a good canopy if you only really want/ afford 1 canopy which you may consider using for CReW. Also a good canopy for wingsuiting.B|

If in doubt, whip it out...

I've been jumping Lightnings 160 to terminal since 1994. My current one has several hundred terminal openings. It has world record lines and trim and I load it at about 1.25:1 for freefall.

Things I found help to keep openings reasonable:

Flat pack instead of propack
Pack neat
I don't roll the nose or anything else _at all_
D-bag
Regular slider
Make sure the slider is _all_ the way up and _stays that way_ until the canopy is in the bag
Stows and rubber bands as recommended by PD

Openings are brisk, but rarely hard. You can pack any canopy to open hard, by the way. Some easier than others. Other thing I like: openings are consistently on heading

Over time I became used the canopy opening this way (you release the pilot chute, it opens fast, on heading). No 1000 ft. wondering if its going to open now... not. Maybe now? Not yet. Well... what about NOW? So, when I jump a regular freefall canopy it feels strange.