venturead

Lightning trim

Greetings experienced dawgs

I have about 20 CRW dives and have flown 2 different Lightnings, both 160s loaded the same.

Canopy #1 DOM 98 with 90 jumps on it. Flew very nice with good responsiveness and light front riser pressure.

Canopy #2 DOM 07 with 2 jumps on it. Very floaty with heavy front riser pressure.

The difference in floatiness (or efficiency) I can explain by the difference in number of jumps. But why was the front riser pressure so different? Did PD change line set trims between the two DOM?

If no one has a good explanation should I e-mail PD and ask Rusty?
"You can't skydive if you are sitting on the couch at home."
Richard "the C" Eddy

There are different trims and there are different line lengths.... Then to make things even more complicated some teams did some custom tweaking here and there to their lines, although probably not at the 160 size.

Things have been pretty much standardized with the newer canopys by PD to two or maybe three variables per size. Rusty is a good source of info but you need to measure those lines against the PD line specs. Also the world record web site has info on line length

PD used to offer different trim options on a Lightning (rotation/sequential/demo). Now they just offer one (sequential). A brand new canopy with sequential trim is going to be very floaty & very hard to keep down relative to other (older) canopies. Canopy no. 1 probably has a steeper trim (rotation?) and possibly more jumps than 90.

Give me that floaty canopy! I bet I can drag it's ass down...

Certainly not because of any mad skills or anything, but I'm always willing to consume large quantities of beer and pizza for a cause!

Screw the trim stuff, let's compensate with wing loading!
:S

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."