GLIDEANGLE

What is canopy doing? Parachutist Nov 2008 p 59

Y'all:

I am baffled. The photo on the LOWER RIGHT corner of page 59 of the November 2008 issue of Parachutist shows a canopy in a very strange shape. It is the canopy on the RIGHT side (also nearest to the camera). Can anyone explain what that canopy is doing? For those of you with no copy of this mag, the middle cells are distorted almost vertical with the leading edge down and the tail up. The lateral cells are relatively flat. This canopy is flying ALONE, not in contact with others.

Thanks.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

It looks to me like the cameraman was doing rear-riser stalls to stay down with stack. The picture seems to be at the beginning of the recovery from the stall. It definitely is not an exit -- the rest of the team is already stacked and rotating.

I could be wrong but, it looks to me like the canopy flew through a burble coming off the guys in front of him.

Here's the scanned pic...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thank you all for your answers!!!! :)
B-lines controlled by his feet.... very interesting!

Blue Skies.

Several other CRW video guys use that system. Bryan Scott and Tom Plonka do.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

How does it work ? I it attatched after opening ? any probs during cutaways ? pics would be awesome...thanks

From what I've seen, they stow the line in with the pack job and it's attached between the risers from left to right with something to hold the excess line together like a rubber band. Then once they deploy cleanly, get oriented with the formation, and then deploy the line and get their feet on it. I might have a detail wrong or a little off, but these two guys don't seem to be on dropzone.com. I have a dvd of a crw camp I was in a few years back with some good close-ups of them in action... I'll see what I can do...

What is the small metal ring shown in this picture. When watching some of the videos from the Netherland championships I saw this (attached) on the cameraman's front riser. Seems like this would be a good way to connect to the B-lines of the center cell to create the effect dicussed earlier in the thread. Ring is kinda small and looks like it would bite into the skin if it is that though.
Some canopies can be fun to fly, but treat you like their bitch on opening. -- Jarno

What is the small metal ring shown in this picture. When watching some of the videos from the Netherland championships I saw this (attached) on the cameraman's front riser. Seems like this would be a good way to connect to the B-lines of the center cell to create the effect dicussed earlier in the thread. Ring is kinda small and looks like it would bite into the skin if it is that though.

this ring IS connected to the B-Line, and pulling it has a kind of 'front-riser' effect, but is easier and lighter to pull.
On my lightling I have b-line toggles, which helped me when i was flying camera, especially with large formation: the span of control is bigger: a little b-line gives you forward speed (also GREAT when trying to fly back to the DZ against the (heavy) wind). Using a lot of b-line input will make the canopy sink quicker, also handy when trying to catch up with a sinking formation (stack..)
IN the formation (flying wings) you could also use the input of your outside b-line in stead of the (more heavier) frontriser.

In the two-way team I am in now, I do not use these b-line toggles anymore: the input that has to be given is to quick and to short to be able to grab the ring/toggle and pull. Plain-old frontriser input is then the name of the game.
Caren

this ring IS connected to the B-Line, and pulling it has a kind of 'front-riser' effect, but is easier and lighter to pull.
On my lightling I have b-line toggles, which helped me when i was flying camera, especially with large formation:

to illustrate a picture, see right frontsiser
Caren

Hi!!

Iwe got toggels attached to center B-lines. And I just pull them about 10cm with my fingers. That disturbs the air flow over the canopy and I get a perfect strait down sink and the good thing is that the recovery of the canopy is much faster and smoother. If you use steering toggles or rear raisers to get the stall, you will get a lift before it stalls and the recovery is more "violent". I hope this answer your Q:s :)