maxdog

160 Lightning in an Icon I6?

I’m about to buy a 160 Lightning, which I’d like to put in my aerodyne Icon I6 container for some light CRW (It currently has a 188 Pilot in it). I’ve asked Aerodyne and they say it may be a bit of a squeeze, whilst PD say I may have to shorten the closing look all the way!
I’m using a 176 in a borrowed rig at the moment, so I don’t have a 160 to try for size, so has anyone tried a 160 Lightning in a Icon I6? Will it fit ok?

Also, the used Lightning I’m looking at has a D-bag, whilst I’ve only ever seen them with tail pockets. Is this a problem?
PH36 Canopy Formation Team.
www.skydive99.com
www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/PH36-Canopy-Formati

I've seen some lightnings with D-bags. Shouldn't be a problem. Lightnings do pack bigger than other canopies of similar size, probably as much as 20% bigger.

Putting in a longer closing loop will do the trick, but don't pack it too loose.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Aerodyne sais its a squeeze? as in the container is too small for the 160 Lighning? The way I see it I6 is designed for 170-190 mains. So 160 might be a bit loose, but dacron lines should take up some extra volume. I put in a CF Storm 150 into an I5 without any problems. The Storm i tried didn't have a tail pocket either so i borrowed a D-bag from someone which was way too big for the 150. The main ended up expanding quite a bit in the bag and it filled the container quite nicely. So maybe if in the end the Lightning will be loose, you can look for a slightly larger D-bag size. If the setup ends being very tight and the pilot doesn't pull the pin right away, look for a BASE pilot, works like a charm. :)
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

If you have never packed/jumped a Lightning, try not to give advice :S

I suppose neither have you, seeing that you didn't give an actual useful advice
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.

Actually she has. I was trying to get her on the women's records a couple of years ago. I don't think CRW is her favorite discipline, but she has been a fabulous CRW supporter.

Saskia, nice job on the CF FAI website/videos. I like that new fire breathing dragon you've got on the videos.

I am trying to closely watch all the videos you are posting!

By the way, I'm pretty sure that Sergei is experienced in lightning jumps, too. I think I met him down in Florida last November. I think just possibly these posts took on that weirdness you see when you put things in writing. Sometimes they can be taken the wrong way.

It was a different Sergei, as I have only started jumping a year ago and never jumped in Florida. And no I have not jumped a Lightning, only Storm, and yes I only have 12 CRW jumps worthy of talking about. I wasn't trying to insult anyone (my apologies if it came out that way), but if someone takes time to point out that I don't know what I am talking about, then they also have a responsibility to point out what is wrong with what I am saying, and then perhaps actually answer the original question. That was my point. No hard feelings I hope.

P.S. The CF Videos are really nice

by the way see this post
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3315305;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#3316822

the guy sais he put a Lightning 176 into an I6 Icon

The general rule of thumb for a free-packed Lightning is a 100sqft larger container. My 193 is currently in a Talon built for a 288 Manta and it's a tight fit even with a 4 inch closing. Don't be fooled into thinking that a Lightning will pack into the same space as a similar sized skydiving canopy because they're close to the same size.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Sorry if you think I'm busting your chops. A lot of us, including myself, made posts in the skydiving forums when we first started out where we really didn't know what we were talking about. So don't get upset.

Regarding the above post. The guy was probably using a "F-111" demo canopy. Just as there are 2 different versions of the Storm, there are also 3 different versions of the Lightning. A "F-111" demo version, a composite "F-111 w/ZP topskin" demo version, and a "full ZP" competition version. There is a big difference between F111 and ZP pack volumes.

As far as Storm vs. Lightning pack volumes are concerned, below is an e-mail I received from Rusty at PD a while back.

"Kurt,

Closer to a Spectre with Dacron lines.

See - that was easy.

Rusty

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:09 AM
To: Support
Subject: CF Storm question

I really hate to ask this, as I am afraid I'll get another pack volume
variance
lecture.

Simply, would the CF Storm pack volume be closer to that of a Spectre,
or of a
current generation ZP Lightning??

Thanks, Kurt."

I'm also attaching a pack volume chart from JumpShack. As most people know these charts aren't 100% accurate. But I believe this chart gives a decent "ballpark" figure. There are no numbers for either version of the Lightning 160. Though most people should be able to obtain an estimate by comparing the other canopies listed.

http://www.jumpshack.com/Read/Tech/canopy_volume_chart.htm
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Sorry if you think I'm busting your chops. A lot of us, including myself, made posts in the skydiving forums when we first started out where we really didn't know what we were talking about. So don't get upset.

well as someone mentioned in a different thread, i got to have thick skin.

A little math

Looks like 160 Lightning will pack at 590 cu. in. according to jumpshack table. According to their table a Triathlon 190 packs at 520 cu. in., however according to Aerodyne it will pack at 420. According to Aerodyne Pilot 188 packs at 440 and icon I6 has maximum container volume at 465, which would explain why 188 is recommended to fit an I6. Considering the size of my I5 main container, about 12x6x6 (as i remember) I am inclined to believe Aerodyne numbers. That said I understand that different people measure canopy sizes differently. Considering the volume difference for the Tri190, I'd estimate Jumpshack measures 25% more volume then Aerodyne, so Pilot 188 should be about 550 According to Jumpshack. A difference between Pilot 188 and Lightning 160 is about 40 cu. in. In a container 12 in wide and 6 in long that amounts to about .55 in of depth. So if the 188 packs with a little extra space, Lightning 160 should fit.

Obviously all this math isn't a guarantee of anything because its based on very shaky assumptions.

However I will try a Lightning 143 this weekend with an I5 container (which held Pilot 170); proportionally that is about the same to the I6 with Pilot 188 and Lightning 160. Will see.
Thank you for the opportunity to bore everyone.

Your putting altogether too much faith in any published number. This is not math, it's art. Any individual canopy or container can vary by 10% up or down. So even with normal freefall canopies if you get one at the size limit it very well may not fit.

Full zp lightnings are pack huge. I have a 193 in a V8, that would normally hold a 250 7 cell, and it's very full. Fuller than I like.

Between dacron lines and lots of reenforcing they cannot be compared to other normal skdiving canopies.

I'm not particularly familiar with Icon sizing. But I'd go with the tight sqeeze opinion long before I believe it was going to be easy.

Sherman (jump shack) measures volumen different. PD measure area different. You need lots of experience to be able to predict what will fit. That's why PD doesn't even publish canopy volumes.

The most dangerous guy on the dropzone is the 100 jump wonder who thinks he knows it all.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I never said i knew it all. I was just following a logical line of reasoning.

Past weekend, freepacked 143 Lightning in an Icon I5. However seeing as my opinion isnt worth the Dell keyboard this message is typed on, here is an expert opinion from Dean (dont know his last name, he is an experienced CRW guy who jumps at the Ranch). He packed upwards of a 176 into an I5 Icon.

Both Dean Keating and I jump Icons. I have an I6. It was built for a tri 175. and L 143 goes great. The L126 goes well two with a slightly shorter loop a 160 would pack tighter in an I6 but it would be fine. I would say that if Dean packed a 176 in there then a 160 fits. Just check the tension on the closing loop as you would when adjusting for any size change with canopies.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker