andyturner

Knives. Big F*** Off shiny ones!

On a serious note, CRW knives, how many & what type?

I’ve got 2 hook knives, the main is the same as Tandem guys use & the other is a small’ish (4 inch) metal one, carried as a back up.

Some one once told me once to get a dagger type as well in case one is totally wrapped up & you need to cut / stab out an exit hole. Sounds a bit OTT & far fetched to me but I have little experience & knowledge. What do you guys & girls think?

Thanks & regards
Andy

Jack the ripper are ok. Make sure you have a lanyard system and ready access.

The little pouch jobs (plastic) are generally shit.

Check the blades by cutting lines (not on your parachute ;)).

You will know then what is OK.

Total wraps are rare, but they can happen. Attached is a picture on my most recent wrap. I did not ave to use a knife but I had some luck too.

Good Luck

Tom

Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Hi,

Some crw jumpers jump with pointed tip open bladed knives but the thing to remember if you are in a multi person hi speed wrap there could be bodies spinning and banging into each other everywhere and if you draw a knife like this you could easily end up stabbing and either seriously injuring or even killing them or yourself.

Although some times this may be the type of knife you need, your choice, if you want one a good source would be a scuba diving supplier.

Personally i jump with a jack the ripper on my chest strap (tied on with a lanyard) and a smaller poly carbonate type in a pocket on the front (not the side, too prone to lines catching) of my thigh as a backup.

However 1000+ crw jumps and i have never had to use one yet, i saw one used once and that was just to cut a bridle line.

Hope this helps

Plastic

However 1000+ crw jumps and i have never had to use one yet, i saw one used once and that was just to cut a bridle line.

Yeah, I saw one used in that fashion during the SC crw camp 3 years ago in Chester. Tim Raup got tangled up with Dave Richardson, and Dave had to cut Tim's bridle loose as it had wrapped around part of his Lightning, while he was still top-docked on Tim. Cool stuff to see and not need a cutaway. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ditto here, but the only 'life-experience' I saw was last year and was more than a bridle-line: canopy wrapped around head, owner did release the main, but canopy did not slide off the head of the jumper below. So that person started cutting and the result can be seen on the photo :S
Caren