rhys

Daedalus JFX CRW canopy

I have seen the US team practicing with their new canopies.

Custom built Crossbraced 7 cells, made by NZaerosports, they are on 105's and 98's etc but are looking at downsizing to 88's.

The pilot chute bridle comes down with the slider.

they are very happy with them and are hoping these canopies will be available for all in the short future.
Now that is some next level stuff.

well done guys.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have seen the US team practicing with their new canopies.

Custom built Crossbraced 7 cells, made by NZaerosports...

Which US team is this?
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

Unsure how the spider slider works, not an rds though as nothing actually detaches.

the bridle comes down through a grommet in the tail of the canopy and is attached to the webbing that the slider grommets are punched through.

there is no slider as such just the grommets and the drag of the pilot chute seems to be the thing that slows the openings down..

They do land good, they even swoop.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Kind of,

the bridle splits in two and one piece goes either side.

there is nothing connecting each side, so there are two independent straps of webbing with 3 grommets in each one for each riser, nothing in between.

Spider sliders: a long (7+ ft) pilot chute bridle feeds through a channel in the center cell center rib and attaches to a X slider right at the center. Seeing a video of a canopy deploying with one instantly gives one the impression of a spider moving through it's web.

For 2-way, yes, and they hold the current world record (16 points in time).

I don't even see the team your referring to on the US Nationals score sheet?http://www.omniskore.com/comp/2007/usnats/cf/2way/cf2way.asp

Redline competed in 4-way sequential (http://www.omniskore.com/comp/2007/usnats/cf/4seq/601.asp). I'll have to email Craig, Gary, Sharon, and Scott and get their opinions of the canopy.

Bob

Kind of,

the bridle splits in two and one piece goes either side.

there is nothing connecting each side, so there are two independent straps of webbing with 3 grommets in each one for each riser, nothing in between.

It would be a lot easier if you posted some pictures! ;):P
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

We knew we were doing some cutting edge stuff and people would hear about it soon enough, but this was quick!!!

Yes, we are working with Icarus on some canopies and have modified them quite a bit, including the retract system. Everything is still in the testing stage, and changes quite a bit. So a posted pic could lead people to the wrong conclusions or to something dangerous.

Stop in at Lodi, CA and check us out. We're the crw team that swoops!

Craig
Redline
Jump more, post less!

I met up with Craig this weekend & he talked me into jumping the JFX 109. He really had to twist my arm since I've never jumped anything smaller than a Sabre2 135. I wasn't sure what to expect, the last competition crw canopy I jumped was a Lightning 143 about 15 years ago. I was impressed with the teams landings but in the back of my mind I couldn't get the lawn dart approaches out of my head.

There were 3 of us; Craig, Robbie & I. We were going to get out, play with the canopies & if we felt good about them we were to wave Craig in & try out some crw. The first thing I noticed was the quick on heading opening & I immediately started playing with the canopy. It's fast! I made 2 quick turns to each side & then noticed that Craig & Robbie were starting to head for each other. I turned the canopy in their direction & was surprised at how quickly I was in their airspace & ready to dock. We put a 3-stack together & started rotating. Six rotations later I decided to run off & check out the canopy.

These are not your ordinary crw canopies. There are quite a few modifications and the lines are shorter than anything I've ever jumped. They are fast, solid & the easiest crw canopies I have ever experienced. I was amazed with the lack of front riser pressure & how fast I was able to float back up to the 2 stack.

Although I was told that they would stall at about mid-range I was not able to stall the canopy. I buried the toggles and looked up at the half folded hankerchief over my head but was still flying. This eased my concerns about the landing but I wasn't off the hook yet. Due to everything I've heard & seen regarding small fast canopies I expected to land long so I turned final a bit further out than normal and I ended up a bit short - about halfway up the grass at Lodi.

The landing was easier, softer & much better than landing my 135. The first words out of my mouth upon landing were "I need to downsize! Where's the 88!"

Overall I'm extremely impressed with these canopies & am thinking about getting back into crw. I'm looking forward to jumping the sub-100's next weekend. Do they make them for freeflyers who do crw after opening? (Get your wallet out Zack, we need a couple of these!)

Jose

We did manage to do some rotes with them this weekend. We even have teammates looking forward to doing more rotes, which has never happened before! Since we are not a rote team, it's hard to tell, but they we're easy and a lot of fun.

Big way??? Who knows, stay tuned!

Craig
Jump more, post less!

They seemed fine doing rotes but I'm a bit rusty. One thing I did notice is that it was a bit floaty when going over the top (I was pulling rear risers & going over the back instead of going off to the side - out-of-habit). I did come in hot on one of the rotes & the canopy stayed inflated. I need more time on them to figure it out but I'm sure they will work.